1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Envy owners, HP total care worth it?

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by dmogx, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

That's what they told me and previous poster. They specifically said it's not a "must" within 30 days. But the warranty starts from the purchase date.

2. macsrxpensive

macsrxpensive Notebook Enthusiast

Question answered thanks.

3. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

Read the first page. COSTCO

4. asdad123

asdad123 Notebook Evangelist

I received my care pack today and had a hell of a time trying to register it... It wouldn't register online so I had to call in (Call 18004076210 to avoid being transfered 12 times).

When I got on the phone, they registered it fine. Warranty starts the day you received your laptop so Im set until 7/30/2012.

One weird thing is that the product number under my battery was different from the one listed on my order status? They fixed it in their system to the one that's under the battery but I found that a little weird.

5. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

That's strange. I wonder if all envy owners have problems like this when registering an adp

6. HTWingNut

So which is it then? HP says date you order your laptop, your ADP plan says date you received it. Nice. Another inconsistency from HP.

7. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

I know, I'm so confused too. I love HP's organization...:confused:

8. HTWingNut

Oh yeah, by the way asdad123 mentioned product number was different. Mine is too. That screwed up something earlier with HP and my Envy 14 too. They said my system didn't exist until I checked my invoice and it said something different.

By the way, if you press fn+ESC you can bring up system information for your machine, and it should show serial number, product number, BIOS, etc. (thanks to someone else for that little tidbit of help can't recall the user).

Or go to your Start Menu HP directory and HP Support Assistant and it should be listed there too.

9. HTWingNut

Just got mine in the mail today. Activated both the HP ADP and LoJack online without an issue. Make sure you use your product code found by either:

- pressing fn+esc
    - Start Menu / HP / HP Support Assistant

The one there seems to be the correct one and is most likely different from the one on the sticker on your laptop or invoice.

The warranty didn't show start date, but LoJack was good from the date of install for 2 years. They have a premium upgrade for $9.95 that I did. I guess that offers better recovery options and will wipe your drive in the event it is stolen and you report it.

10. charles107

charles107 Notebook Enthusiast

Does anyone have any comment on whether or not a total care warranty is a good idea? I realize that having protection for your equipment in general is a good idea, but I'm not sure if I want to pay ~$180 for a year of coverage. I know that Costco at one point was selling HP envy warranties for really cheap but I stupidly missed that. Does anyone know of any place that I can get an HP totalcare package warranty for cheaper than $180?

11. ny105

ny105 Notebook Enthusiast

The CostCo link no longer works and I can't find it by searching the CostCo website. Have they stopped selling computer warranties? I wouldn't think so, but I can't find anything on their website.

12. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

I can't find it either. I was just about to buy it, too. When I called in, they told me that they don't have any knowledge on when or if it is coming back in stock.

13. HTWingNut

LOL, "in stock"? It's a warranty. You wouldn't think they would have stock problems.

14. Skhope

Skhope Notebook Consultant

Yeah I tried looking for the costco warranty for someone else and it said that it wasnt available anymore haha..my warranty actually arrived today luckily I ordered it like a day before it came off the site. Registed without any problems, Envy14 is protected for 2 years =)

15. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Notebook Evangelist

Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but how good is Squaretrade's warranty, and how late can you sign up for it? I'm considering getting it now that I realized that the limited warranty is fairly limited, but I think I've had my laptop for some time now. Is it just the thing where if you have problems they'll refund you for any repairs you need?

16. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

Squaretrade is very good. They will attempt to fix it, but if it's beyond repair, you will likely get a full refund. They are pretty fast too from what I've heard. Of course since it is third party, it isn't as good as HP's total care, but if you need a 3 year warranty, Squaretrade should be pretty good.

17. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

I honestly didn't think it would be worth it, but I'm impressed with the In-Home house call service. My wife spilled some iced tea on her laptop and HP sent a tech out to our house within 24 hours.

18. whatupkiddo

whatupkiddo Notebook Enthusiast

if i did get warranty would the "HP 2-year Care Pack Accidental Damage Protection Service with LoJack for Laptops" be good enough?

19. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

IMO, ADP is worth the added cost if your total warranty is still less than 20-30% the cost of your laptop.

I'm not as familiar with the LoJack service. If I understand correctly, it doesn't work if the person who steals your laptop wipes the drive, which I imagine is likely the first thing a laptop thief would do.

20. HTWingNut

LoJack is part of your system BIOS. It can't be deleted, and if its stolen and reported LoJack can wipe the drive for safety sake. If someone adds a new hard drive or whatever LoJack will still be in effect. I think it can disable the laptop altogether too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.