1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Envy owners, HP total care worth it?

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by dmogx, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmogx

dmogx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

did a quick search and couldn't find a specific thread for this for the Envy specifically. I will be buying an hp envy 15 in the upcoming few months, and would like this computer to last ideally 5 years. Unfortunately, HP doesn't seem to have a very good track record, so i was thinking about buying the HP total care for 3 years. Unfortunately, it's not cheap :(

How many of you purchased HP total care extended warranty for your HP envy? Who here has dealt with them during the extended warranty time, if something bad happens would they replace my laptop with a new or fixed one?

thanks.

2. Xephon

Xephon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I recommend that you consider Squaretrade for the warranty. If you can settle for 2 years of coverage, then Costco has a 2 year Accidental Damage+Lojack warranty for just $100.

3. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How does this Costco warranty work? You buy online from HP, then go to Costco to buy a warranty? Does this work on any HP laptop?

4. mobilekrispy

mobilekrispy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got the three year total care + warranty on my envy. It was a refurb, so I really wanted to make sure I had good coverage. FWIW, I was able to talk the price down $50 from the website price.

This thread has someone who has had multiple machines with total care+ accident coverage and made claims and had good service, etc.

5. Kabobi

Kabobi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I purchased the Costco warranty. You have to buy it within 30 days of your laptop's purchase date. It also has to be for a new HP laptop. And you can only order the warranty online; they send you a package in the mail and you activate it on your laptop. Definitely worth it though considering HP asks $270 for that package.

Also, if you use Amex you get an additional year of warranty for free. I think some other credit cards also do this.

6. chadsxe

chadsxe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you just wait until your laptop arrives or do you activate it before hand?

7. dmogx

dmogx Newbie

Reputations:
    what is included in the costco warranty?
    The HP total care warranty seems pretty good, as it protects it from drops/spills/surges.

Hypothetically speaking, if i "accidentally" spilled a cup of coffee over it and fried the internals, i should be covered to get a new replacement as long as I am in the extended warranty period. It could mean that you are indirectly buying another 'future' hp laptop for about $350.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    I take it you have to be a CostCo member though? It'd cost an additional $50 membership on top of their warranty then to join right? Anyone have a link to where you can sign up? I don't see it on their website. Does it cover accidental damage? That's what I'm most concerned about.

SquareTrade will cost you $399 if you want accidental damage protection. Steep price IMHO.

edit: Here it is I think: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...2 year accidental&Ntt=2 year accidental&Nty=1

I might have to do this. $100 for 2 years of accidental coverage is more than worth it.

No membership required. Only $5 surcharge for non-members. Do you have to get the package installed within 30 days of receiving your laptop or only buy it within 30 days? Because if I buy it now, I am at day 24, and they say it takes 7-10 days to get the package.

edit edit: Just bought it. Can't pass up $111.29 for two years with accidental damage. I repaired my Sager myself from a small spill. Just the keyboard and trackpad alone cost me over $100.

9. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Costco deal definitely seems worth it. If you buy the notebook with AMEX, does that extend the warranty to 3 years? Or is the warranty extension only on the manufacturer's warranty?

10. asdad123

asdad123 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it within 30 days of purchasing it or receiving it?

edit: Ordered it. Used my parents costco account. 106.99 shipped