ENVY 17-32XX Intel Ivy Bridge (AMD 7850M)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knowledgegenius

knowledgegenius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I removed the recovery partition so all I have is the SWSetup folder on my c drive So I can go through that folder. I want to know which drivers work best the Win 7 Drivers or the Win 8 ones on the site or the new Windows 10 update ones. I just did a clean install that runs well but missing the features I installed the ones from HP that were for windows 8. Some gave issues I am going driver by driver to figure this out. I am currently working from my new Envy 17 n000cto which was an easy transition Since it was made for Win 8.1 so the upgrade went with out a hitch. These older Envy 17 3200cto I am going to have to tinker with so I can get them working fluid especially with this AMD ccc driver which I think was making the computer not come back from sleep and hibernate.

2. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    AMD's CCC has always been a pain in the a**.

Perhaps ill clone my recovery partition to another drive and just go from there if needed.

Good luck dude

3. demute

demute Newbie

Reputations:
    Updated my Envy 17-3290er 3D to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Wasn't a clean install though.

Liked this OS a lot and everything worked fine until I wanted to dim my laptop screen. Didn't even know before that this 3D-version all the time was locked for using only Radeon 7850 and seems to be impossible to have both Radeon and Intel cards been activated. So far I understood, same problem with brightness controls malfunction began with Windows 8.1 appearance on the market.

Tried every possible solution with registry entries and nothing worked out. I mean, there were no "FeatureTestControl" entries in the registry and adding those obviously doesn't help. A solution for Asus-laptops with "KMD_EnableBrightnesslf2" and "KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2" didn't help either.
    Reinstalled my Radeon driver like 20 times, installed a legacy Catalyst_14.4_WHQL_UnifL_v2.2 version, installed Windows 7, 8, 10 versons from both HP ans AMD and nothing seems to ever help. I couldn't even change brightness while working on a standard Microsoft driver at a 1024x768 resolution. It's just impossible to dim a laptop screen. Lack of Intel 4000 graphics card in the system. Period.

Have no idea what to do. Reveresed my OS to a Windows 7 with Acronis backup, took a glance at Device Manager and surely saw same thing: there is no Intel 4000 card in the system, but brightness controls do work fine!

Any possibility of resolving this or I can just forget to hope using Windows 8.1 or 10 on this particular device? Downgrading BIOS, adding other registry entries for an AMD device, anything?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  4. demute

demute Newbie

Reputations:
    Good news everyone! If you make clean install of Windows 10 and first of all add the latest windows 8 driver downloaded from the HP drivers page, it all works! It's possible to dim a screen

Отправлено с моего D5803 через Tapatalk

5. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I saw someone with an Envy 17 3xxx who had the same issue and same report on the original HP driver having working dimming.

He then updated to the newest Drivers ontop of that old HP driver. Some residual registry dword stayed behind and allowed him to keep dimming.

If anyone cares to repeat this procedure .. you can try to find the dword with a registry snapshot application that can quickly compare added and remaining dwords:

https://mega.co.nz/#!4U8wxL5S!pINGof2XojByPokhZaItFFU87NjAX2sPNWJqoRLaLpY

6. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    Hey I have a few questions is it just me or does the battery life seem to drop in Windows 10 with what you have seen?

So far I have tried a few ways to test out Windows on my Envy 17 3200cto non-3d I have done the upgrade from my Win7 Pro drive and it seemed to be working well until I found out it could not dim and well as when I went to sleep it was not recovering. I think this was due to the driver I installed from the AMD site that gave it the error of power failure when coming back from sleep or hibernate. So after that I tried a clean boot that worked well but the same issue when I did not use the Windows update approved driver. So on my third install I am just using the windows default update drivers. I tested the battery life in Win 10 and i get about an hour less than I got in 7. I am still working with this Win 10 for a few days and see I i can get the desired results if not I may move back to Win 7 on my Envy 17 3200cto.

7. demute

demute Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey I actually didn't try how battery was going on my clean install because I almost always use my laptop running connected as a desktop. So isn't a big deal for me.

Had to reverse back to my windows 7 backup cause I use this laptop for my everyday job tasks.

Going to try clean install again when I had more free time and will try to find any registry entries differences to find out what was going on with not clean update and this annoying dimming problem.

8. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    Since my update to 10 I have done 3 installs my original upgrade, my clean install and now a minimal recovery to 7 via the dvds then the upgrade. At all three phases I faced the same issue Internal_Power_Error and the dimmer issue. This final time I have also lost that popup from the CCC manager to which graphics card should be used. I am also running about 1:30 less in battery life I get 3:00 hrs now as I used to get 4:30. I am actively doing some research to get the right combo of new drivers for the 7850m or what ever else it needs but to this point I think that is the main issue. Any one that may have an Envy 17 3200cto non-3d running great in Windows 10 share if you can the methods and combos of drivers used it would be a great help. As I test things out a bit more and find solutions I will post and share. Thx all. Windows 10 did not flow as well as I thought its still a work in progress.

9. Jerohm

Jerohm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    has anyone opened up a 17-3200CTO down to CPU access? Does the CPU/GPU use normal thermal paste, or some special pads?
    Thank You
    jim

IIF anyone cares, CPU upgrades are NO FUN. You need to tear the laptop completely down to access the CPU. Things kind of stick together, until you get them apart the first time... but subsystems seating tolerances are excellent... although the apparent build quality, is probably LESS than you believed. There doesn't seem to be ANY special thermal pads used, no matter what the Service Manual implies. There WAS a black sticker covering the CPU chip, but it certainly did NOT add to heat sink contact. I went from a 3720 -> 3840. Under load, the 3840 runs hotter... period. Under no load, all cores hover around ~47C. Under load however, I can breach >100C. The cooling solution is ADEQUATE, and keeps the average, under load, in the high 70's, but the fans will do double time for short durations. Was is worth it?? I wish I could get things so that is never throttles, but doubt that is going to happen. I WOULD upgrade a 36x0 -> 37x0, but to a 38x0, less sure.

10Oct2015
    Re-pasted using Tuniq TX-4 and heat situation is 80C or less under 100% CPU load/10min... If you do this, DO NOT even fool around with anything other than TX-4 - jrm

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, just installed 2 external monitors both connected with display ports. How do I enable viewing 3 screens with the 3rd screen as the laptop screen. I could only get 2 at a time to work, either 2 external monitors or just the laptop monitor and one of the external monitors.