ENVY 17-32XX Intel Ivy Bridge (AMD 7850M)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knowledgegenius

knowledgegenius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So far no luck on getting my screen to dim with any of the provided drivers with a straight install. Any ideas from anyone today doing the windows 10 upgrade. I have the Windows 10 Pro 64bit

2. vairules

vairules Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Happy to report everything is running smoothly on my Envy 17 32xx.

3. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    Deos your dimmer button work? If so what process did you use and what driver works for you?

4. vairules

vairules Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try the windows 8 brightness fix file that was floating around here. Adds a value to the registry; takes like less than one second to run. Dumb windows update pushed my intel chipset driver update without me being able to stop it. Ran that, rebooted, then had control of brightness again. I can't remember the name right now, but I can look it up later if you can't find it. On Windows 10 Pro too btw.

EDIT: "W8_brightness_fix"

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  5. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Did you try the drivers from the recovery partition?

6. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    Wow that is great can you paste the link to the file or page if you have it? I am going to uninstall all my dirvers now and get the onee that are new from AMD and then run this win8 fix. Is that the driver set you ran the fix on?

7. vairules

vairules Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope - didn't touch my AMD drivers. Just updated the intel ones. AMD ones are 14.... something? Haha it's been a while.

https://onedrive.live.com/prev?cid=...NOLNHTDPbEg1qc&v=TextFileEditor&iam=undefined

Try that one bud - let me know how it works. It might be worth it to uninstall your drivers, install the latest ones, then run this fix, reboot and you should be good to go.

8. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    Ok here is the update I had to tinker a few times but I removed all drivers and installed the defaults that windows update provided then applied the fix and it works. I also noticed that my Intel 4000 was not being used and that the AMD 7850m was in use at all times and just being throttled. I GPU-z and HWIN64 opened and ran it on the lowest dim settings and did simple tasks and only got only 3 hours of life. So thus starts my trying to use the new ones form AMD for the series same thing 3 hours all the while the AMD chip always on. I tried to do it program by program but it works when the program opens but when it closes back to the AMD chip. I may go back and find some other drivers and try something else... Anyone having the same thing happen to them?

9. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    I ran the fix but it seems that the 7850m is in use the whole time and does not ever power down. Also when I sleep or hibernate it never recovers and crashes upon it coming back up. So at this point there are some major problems going on. Also the fan speed never powers down no matter how cool it gets. So at this point since I have saved a backup of files and migrated it to my other envy 17n I may try a fresh format install and see if it solves the issue with the not being able to sleep or recover from hibernate. I hate to lose all of the HP built on OSD and Beats apps. So I will try a clean Windows 10 install see what happens and try to get the Windows 8 apps from the HP support site then if its not a great experience I can reboot to my windows 7 and then try a upgrade to the 10 from there. or something of the sorts. I try this at some point in the day Ill keep checking the post feeds from other sites and find what most of the Envy 17 32xx users are doing with the windows 10 and there systems.

10. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I say again:
    If your recovery partition is untouched (even after a clean install) all the OEM software/drivers are located there. No need to go on a manhunt on HPs website.

I clean installed 8.1 when I got my new Envy and then selectively installed drivers and bloatware