ENVY 17-32XX Intel Ivy Bridge (AMD 7850M)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knowledgegenius

knowledgegenius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    IMO, This Envy 17 was the best build quality of them all and since then I guess they did move into making it into the dv7 family, when I saw the launch and release of the Omen family I knew that was EOL for quality Envy's.

I followed the manual and took the laptop down to the cpu fan I completely forgot to take pics or make a video until the end but here are two mid way in closure. I have been looking at the new service and repair manuals from the new ones and to the best of my knowledge all you have is space for one sata hdd and one msata or m2m slot for a ssd chip. Find service manual and scroll through it. What are the exact model number and product of that line. From the cpu you have me when i look it up on cpu-info's website it tells me those new ones are soldered onto the board...

HP and me have a funny relationship I call and know more about my laptop than the reps and sometimes they take offense to it and try to screw me. Anyway the features on this laptop now are long gone but the new chips 5th gen i7- and Nvidia cards are better at heat and energy consumption and the graphics have way more memory. I feel in love with this beats audio spin wheel and really good sound from this series. People to this day are blown away from the speakers. I will research the new ones and see what laptops will be out in 4 months when my care pack ends.

Attached Files:

2. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ugh I know. Build was awesome, but the QC was questionable lol. Mine came back yesterday all scratched up with prints everywhere. SO glad its being replaced.

The Omens are nice, but none have # keypads. As far as specs go, I still can't believe HP is cutting out switchable graphics. You've gotta choose between integrated or discrete. I hatr how they force us and then don't even leave us the option by locking down their BIOS. Just stupid.

Gonna miss those speakers.

3. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    When does your new notebook arrive will you review it please and post pics, I know this it the older model thread and all so link me to the new thread with your model numbers. What is the official name and series number. Envy 17 ??????

4. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:
    Sure. Can't see why not!

HP ENVY - 17t Touch Laptop
    Product # L8L13AV_1

But I can't find anything in the support section when I search that, just the store page. So w/e I'll see whenever it comes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. knowledgegenius

Reputations:
    Any updates?
    I have been seeing a flood of ebay for the older k100 series but this last few days the new k200 series have been showing up with the new 5th gen i7 variations of the 5500u. I want to know how they perform and other details the manuals are up now on the hp site.

So far my Envy 17 3200 cto has been going strong just reformatted win7 and things are running smooth.

6. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:
    My apologies, I was holding off until I do some gaming on it. The only "game" I've installed thus far is X-Plane 10, which I doubt many of you have played.

The laptop performs surprisingly well in my software Dev usage, compiles applications in a breeze. However once in power saver mode, the dual core 5500U locks itself at an extremely conservative 0.77Ghz and that's when you really notice it. As you can imagine things get quite sluggish, new tabs take their time, responsiveness in general just plummets. In high performance I was seeing clock speed jumping up to around 2.99Ghz in task manager. As long as its in high performance, I don't find myself missing my old quad core i7-3820... Power saver, really is power saver in this notebook....

Battery life, in MY normal usage I've eeked out about 5 hours, and that's not with brightness all the way down, keyboard backlight on most of the time, and many browser tabs open. I haven't done a real rundown test, just normal use. The keyboard backlight isn't adjustable, its either off or on - no 3 levels, of fancy 2 row-at-a-time sequence turning on.

What benchmarks do you want me to perform (if any)? You'll be happy to hear that HP left Optimus enabled, so graphics switching between the Nvidia 850m and 5500u is perfect. Unlike the fiasco with the radeon 7850m...

Product number is K2z68av. Opened up the unit (post pictures later) and this thing is WAY less user assessible than the 3200 series. ONE hard drive bay, ONE fan and heatpipe for the CPU and GPU. Very unexpected for a 17" laptop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit side note: I enabled virtualization in the BIOS and the hyper-v platform windows os feature and the CPU stayed locked at 2.40Ghz so I guess Intel speedstep stops working with it.

Second edit: task manager only see the virtualized clock speed, CPU does in fact still wind down to .77Ghz under Hyper-V.
    Also, while in power saver, responsiveness is improved if I assign IE and Visual Studio to the dedicated 850m graphics. Program startup time is much improved.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Guys, I sent in my broken envy 15-3200 and they are sending me an HP Omen now :D! I had the accidental package

8. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:

Eyeballed those. Need my numeric keypad though

9. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yeah I wanted one too but i had to make sacrifices. They were offering me an envy instead so I flat out refused. the thing im going to miss most are the page up/down/home keys on the side, maybe i can program the ones on the left.... oh and also the volume knob

10. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:

Gah, I still keep reaching for that knob. Now I have to squint and search along the fn keys -_-

What was wrong with your envy 15?