ENVY 17-32XX Intel Ivy Bridge (AMD 7850M)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. HP usually has a nasty feature that will re install your original HP graphics driver no matter if you clean with DDU. This will normally break drivers.
    2. Yes same thing
    3. Please no driver update utilities. Always pick the right driver for your card manually.
    4. You can get official ones from AMD : )

6. Indeed

The reason I suggest going the official route first is to make sure that you establish a clear picture on what might be working or not. .. In case some strange featurecreep/ or bug from the UnifL package makes its way into the config.

FeatureTestControl can be a tricky thing.

However if you follow my advise on installing original Intel HD 4000 drivers from Driver Station, then you might get lucky.
    The FTC value gets set by the Intel driver.

2. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, I did all the steps above (DDU, installed drivers downloaded from Intel and AMD site) and still no luck :( Running out of options here...

3. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Help! After trying out some URB and FTC values, I boot up my Envy and now just see a black screen. I could still move and see the mouse cursor but the whole screen is black! How do I boot to safe mode on this PC? If I press Esc during boot up it brings me to a different options ie. bios set-up, recovery etc.

Can anyone tell me how to boot in safe mode? I've tried pressing F8, shift+F8 and I just see the Windows logo, then black screen.

4. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just verifying you're holding the "fn" key? Also I thought it was f5. Whatever it was I held it down, not just press it. My Envy's currently in Texas being serviced by HP.

5. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, I had the function keys normally and have the action keys with with Fn (reversed the feature in BIOS before). I'm not too sure if it was F5 but I just type quickly from ESC to FN12 while starting up. I was able to boot up with my USB drive and do a system restore. I give up and I'm done fiddling with the brightness key fix and just use my external monitor for now.

6. knowledgegenius

knowledgegenius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I am getting in late and will read to get caught up with the posts in this thread....
    With that I have the new 14.12 AMD Omega Drivers. It was not easy to get them to install and since I did not chart my exact steps I can recall that I did face some of the above mentioned problems. I use windows 7 64 Utl. Here are some notes I can share that I remember, hope any of it helps. When I tried to remove all my amd display drivers I got a blue screen during the process. I did notice that if the default driver from HP is not installed first then the AMD updater and install will not find the correct one to install and will result in an error. Also sometimes you will get the black screen if not removed correctly, and for some reason I found that when I removed the USB 3.0 ext driver it would work and install would work correctly. Well either way you must take notes to the steps taken and failures as each release of drivers sometimes causes its own problems. Hope that helps I posted a pic as well.

[​IMG]

The real reason I am back on this thread is to ask if anyone has updated the CPU? I wanted to know if heat would be an issue with this cpu as well even if I use the Artic silver 5
    I was thinking of going for this:
    i7-3920xm via ebay
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-3920XM-Notebook-Processor.73466.0.html
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-3920XM Mobile Extreme Edition.html

Any thoughts or advice?
    current specs:
    Envy 17 3200 CTO
    i7-3610 AMD 7850 1gb
    16 gb Vengence ddr1866
    256 msata ssd
    750 gb hybrid
    1tb 7200 rpm
    bd-dvd
    6300 n-wifi

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    There is no way back now.. we are too invested into this ;3

Sorry to crash your question.

So from what I see you installed your original HP drivers + updated the AMD drivers ontop. (Judging by your Intel version and the fact that it is singed by AMD)

Brightness keys work yus? .. they should I guess since it is the original Intel drivers.

8. knowledgegenius

knowledgegenius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes you are correct. I went back to the default amd hp original drivers then updated them to the 14 omega's.

Yes the brightness works. It will stop working sometimes rarely if i put the laptop to the hybrid sleep but all I do is close the screen down and when I open it back up it will work again. I think after the screen goes black it resets the dimmer function. But other than that it works well and most of the time out of the hibernate or from the hybrid sleep it works as well.

VonCrisp likes this.
  9. VonCrisp

Reputations:

Here is some info from today on a user who managed to get his 17 32xx machine to work with newest drivers + brightness control.

http://leshcatlabs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=774&p=10864#p10864

All it took is changing the FTC to the correct one.

However I believe the user mistakenly thought that he had an HD 3000. He certainly cannot have this as it doesn't match up with his CPU.

Anyway AMD F900 / IntelKMD F840 seems to have worked for this user.

10. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks! But upon reading his post he is using W7 not W8.1.

I'll check next time if have a whole night free time to fiddle with this.

I'm actually a big Windows and PC user and starting to think to not cheap out and just consider other options for my photography editing work. As other's say Macs just works.