ENVY 17-32XX Intel Ivy Bridge (AMD 7850M)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Yes only the case for 3xxx 3D machines I believe.

2. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So is there really no fix for the brightness/dimming button? I've tried the HP drivers and reg fix and nothing seems to fix it. If I install a different driver (ie. from AMD site) it messes up my Envy even more. So right now, my laptop screen is so bright and can't dim it to normal levels. My only work around is I have a dedicated 24" IPS monitor for my image editing work.

3. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    I can only help out with a fix for laptops which have an active Intel HD graphics card + AMD. In the case of the Envy 17 that would only be the 3xxx model. From what I understand the 30xx model does not have an active Intel HD card. (or maybe only the 3D versions)

In the case of the Intel + AMD laptop it is simple (3xxx) Install your Intel HD 3000 driver (3517) and then install AMD 14.12. Brightness control should work and if it doesn't then changing the FeatureTestControl value to F840 / 842 /900 / 940/ 942 should work.

But if you just have an AMD gpu then you are most likely missing a brightness control dword on the AMD side. I dont really look into pure mobility AMD issues but I recall seeing 2 dwords that helped others with brightness control issues. ... let me know and I could search our forums over on leshcatlabs

4. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have 17t-3200 non 3D. I believe for Intel I have HD4000 and for sure I have AMD 7850. The whole switching and dimming/brightness button were all functional in W7 then update to W8. It all got messed up when I installed W8.1 update.

5. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    There is unfortunately no more fixed switching past AMD Catalyst 14.4.
    All newer drivers such as the AMD Catalyst 14.12 drivers do dynamic switching with Intel being your main card.

Not sure which drivers you have tried but the brightness control buttons are controlled by the FeatureTestControl dword.

This is taken from our database from leshcatlabs submitted by a user called=
    gt who had / has an HP Envy 17 3070nr

He used the following values in our UBR (UniversalBrightnessControl) tool which regulates the FTC value for AMD Catalyst 14.4

Intel=F940 intelKMD=F940
    He did not leave any notes but I gather this fixed his controls.

Unfortunately there are no notes of users who tried newer drivers on this laptop such as 14.12.

However let me know what you have tried .. maybe we can pin point this.

14.12 in conjunction with a clean HD 4000 driver shouldn't really have any issues for you.

6. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone been running the Windows 10 preview?

7. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do have 14.12 and HP driver SP58812 downloaded from HP website. I need direction about UBR and FTC above though :(

8. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, I just tried Catalyst 14.12 Omega UnifL v1.0 (Repack) latest one, but still no success.
    I've also tried the following values for the UBR
    Intel=F940 intelKMD=F940 (from HP Envy 17 3070nr)
    Intel=FFFF IntelKMD=F800 (HP Envy 15-3200)
    Intel=F842 intelKMD=F842 (by using Official driver package from manufacturer, I followed Unified Leshcat Driver Manual using SP58812 and got F842)

Thinking of trying Catalyst 14.4 WHQL UnifL v2.4. I've done hundreds for install/unistall and restarts. I tried changing Intel graphic driver to Microsoft adapter and my screen immediately dimmed but lost graphics switching. Any help would be appreciated, i've spent almost my whole Friday evening just trying to fix this and it's already 1:30 am :(

9. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    If you are on Windows 8.1 (non HP copy) and you have cleaned properly with DDU and only the "Windows Standard VGA" drivers installed on both GPUs, then you shouldn't have an issue installing the latest official Intel HD 4000 drivers. Driver station is good for Intel.

Then you just need the official 14.12 drivers.

And only the FTC tool from UnifL which can be downloaded separately on the website.

My personal advise:

Try F900, F902, F940, F942

Windows 7 tends to be in the F8xx range for some reason.

No one has cracked the FTC code. So it is mostly just blind luck.

Just remember that FTC only works if you really have an HD 4000 card. Some Envy 3xxx laptops do not have this card in device manager.

10. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, i'm testing out 14.4 as I saw someone had it work on an Envy 15t-3200 on the UBR database, I have 17t-3200. Still brightness button not working. Some clarifying questions, just wanted to make sure, hope you don't mind.

1) Windows 8.1 (non-HP copy)? I originally had Win7 on my laptop, then updated to 8 and then 8.1 through Microsoft, does that make my 8.1 non-HP then?
    2) Can you explain what "windows standard VGA" driver did you mean Microsoft basic display adapter after the DDU?
    3) latest official Intel HD 4000 drivers with Driver station, is that using Intel driver update utility?
    4) official 14.12 drivers, is that with Leshcatlabs (Catalyst 14.12 Omega UnifL v1.0 (Repack)) or get from AMD site?
    5) Thanks, I didn't realize I can download FTC tool separately. I've been running it off the Catalyst installer initial screen.
    6) I have i7-3610QM, so is it safe to assume I have HD4000?

The one good thing tyring out UnifL drivers is that it doesn't make my current set-up worse, switchable graphics always work except the brightness button.