ENVY 17-32XX Intel Ivy Bridge (AMD 7850M)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, just wanted to share I was able to fix the dimming/brightness button issue with update to Windows 8.1 pro. I uninstalled the AMD Radeon and Intel HD graphics from the Device Manager. I also ran amd clean up utility which I downloaded from the AMD website. I didn't restart the laptop instead I went to HP support website and downloaded graphics driver sp58812 (305mb). Installed it, restarted and then applied registry fix from this site

Tech Tips and Hints: Fix Brightness Control for Windows 8 AMD SG Drivers

I just downloaded the registry, double clicked to apply and then restarted my Envy. After this, my Envy booted up with it's screen dimmer and the dimming and brightness button now works! Posting this here just in case someone else runs into this issue as well.

2. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good work dude

Sent from my IdeaTabA1000L-F using Tapatalk

3. Rex-i7

Rex-i7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok. I thought I got my Envy 17t working perfectly, until I started playing NBA 2K14! Wow, just big blank screen but audio of the game is playing in the background. All other games are working, i've ran out of options (install, reinstall, steam support, modified config). I hope I don't have to revert back to W8 where everything was working fine. Oh well...

4. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:
    Is anyone else getting DisplayLink failures with the 14.4 catalyst drivers? Every now and then the screen will go black and won't come back unless I plug in an HDMI cable or close and open the lid (I don't have any display port cables)...

5. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Jstr_MSFT

I have seen this behavior during testing with 14.6 RC on the 6850m. DP link failure.

Managed to get it to work but I never really looked into it in great detail. I believe this might be because the Intel driver from HP is old and doesn't want to play nice with the 14.4 / 14.6.

However I have been interested in how the 7850m operates in 3D under Windows 8. Does your 3D work on Intel / AMD in dynamic mode?!?!

This was my biggest question because I tried to make the 6850m compatible with 3D in Windows 8.1 on dynamic... so I decided to have a look at the Intel Inf for the 7850m.

I have found some interesting values.. so if you don't have any luck with drivers let me try cooking up a solution for you!

6. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:
    Ok, well since I have the 3D edition, I have no "dynamic" mode or Intel display drivers at all. Second, its an issue with the internal LCD. The 7850m is the sole operating GPU in the 3D version.

Furthermore, I have not, nor will I be updating to Windows 8 on this laptop simply because of all the issues others have been having.

7. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm that is strange I downloaded some drivers from HP from a 32xx 3D version and they entailed intel drivers.

Well I guess HP did the right thing by disabling intel on these devices since it only brings trouble.

8. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:
    Ok, so i'm running the 14.10 driver package, and every time the display goes to sleep the screen will go off, and won't come back on again unless i sleep/wake the laptop. Then, i keep getting this after wake:

[​IMG]

As much as I'm gonna hate it, I think I'm just gonna sent it in :/ idk

9. eugene2878

eugene2878 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where did you get 14.10 driver? It does not exist yet. Latest is 14.6. For latest 14.4 compatible driver for our laptop visit leshcatlabs site.

10. Jstr_MSFT

Reputations:
    I usually always get my drivers direct from the Radeon website. I'll try those ones out