ENVY 15-kXXX / ENVY 15-qXXX / ENVY 17-kXXX Notebooks (2014)

Discussion in 'HP' started by T2050, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plasmos

plasmos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there any sort of video review anywhere of these new Envy 15ts? I would really like to see one in a video. These pictures don't do me justice.

All the Google searches point to the old 2013 models (damn naming conventions).

Also, does anyone know whether or not you can put in an msata for a boot drive in these laptops?

2. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have seen it in person and I rejected it, mostly because if poor customer service otherwise I would of walked out with it. However I did have a good look over it and it is exactly the same as the 2013 model with the addition of an improved touchpad. That's is really, the GPU is much improved maxwell.

3. matermark

matermark Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anybody confirm there's only room for ONE hard drive in the 17" models? The salesman I talked to said so when I asked.

He also said no high performance processors (4800mq/4810hq/4900mq/4910mq/hq)

He mentioned they are soldered processors which cannot be upgraded.

I also noted the batteries are much smaller, maybe 4-cell? I think around 41Ah & an optional one in the 44-48Ah range for $10 more.

4. mEatWad

mEatWad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    all right i got it after a loong time yesterday. the HP 15T in my sig. i haven't had a chance to play around much but if there is anything in particular u want to know, tell me. i wont be able to load up any newer games for at least a few weeks cause im quite busy but ill try to load up something in a few days. 1st impressions is that everything is quite average. build quality is very plastick-y . the chicklet keys feel loose. good things r that its nice and light, power brick is small and doesn't get even warm during normal use. beats audio is a nice touch and u can configure sound with included software. screen is passable. colors seem a bit dull. viewing angles are not great.

5. plasmos

plasmos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I haven't been able to verify if the mSATA slot is present, but going on the shape of the access panel it should have it. Unless HP have stripped the connector from the motherboard, with I would doubt. I would doubt you will be able to boot from this out right, and likely will have the same similar BIOS access to the mSATA as the J model.

Yes the there is a access door on the back, the design to get in is exactly the same on the Q model as it is on the J model.

Pretty much is all plastic, except for the palm rest just like the J model.

The touchpad is much improved on the Q model which uses the glass based model as like on the Spectre 13.

7. Loney111111

Loney111111 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What the battery life when web browsing on the 48 Whr battery?

8. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't know about the 48Wh but pretty simply to just calculate that from the standard 62Wh that I normally get, you can do the maths.

I would get 3-4 hours depending on what I am browsing general usage, start hitting you tube and then obviously shorter, and if you just stare at the screen reading then it will be much longer.

You have to remember the quad core in the Q model is just a refreshed haswell which is 37W and exactly the same TDP as the J model, if you using the IGP during this time, the end result will be exactly the same.

Everyone needs to understand and notice that the Q model is just a small tweak/refresh based on the original J model, it really isn't anything brand new.
    The Q model use same CPU generation and chipset generation, the external chassis design is the same shell with a few things actually removed (cost cutting), when comparing the J model.
    There are only and really 2 things on the Q model that are really new additions, that is the Maxwell 850M (although you could get a Maxwell 840M on the J model, there was no 850M option offered). The touch pad uses HP's newer revised glass touch pad.

9. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello! New member here! I ordered a brand new 2014 HP Envy 15t last night. :cool: I ended up canceling my first order as I was wary and skeptical about upgrading from an i7-4710HQ Quad-Core w/ Intel Graphics HD 4600 to an i7-4510U Dual-Core with a dedicated graphics card. My first order was as follows:

• Windows 8.1 Pro 64
    • System Recovery DVD Windows 8.1 Pro 64
    • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel® HD Graphics 4600
    • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
    • 8GB DDR3L System Memory (1 Dimm)
    • 1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive
    • 4-cell 48WHr Lithium-ion Battery
    • Blu-ray writer and SuperMulti DVD burner
    • Backlit Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
    • Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth® [1x1]

I canceled the order this morning and reordered a new computer with these specs:

• Windows 8.1 Pro 64
    • System Recovery DVD Windows 8.1 Pro 64
    • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U Dual Core Processor + 2GB NVIDIA GeForce 840M Graphics
    • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
    • 8GB DDR3L System Memory (1 Dimm)
    • 1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive
    • 4-cell 48WHr Lithium-ion Battery
    • Blu-ray writer and SuperMulti DVD burner
    • Backlit Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
    • Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth® [1x1]

And just a bit of info that might be useful, the product number for the machine with these specs is G0T95AV. So if you are to search for anything on the new Envy 15t's, I would suggest searching for that product number as well.

Again, I was wary about "downgrading" from my currently HP Pavilion dv6t with a Quad-core i7-3610QM (2.3GHz Boost to 3.3GHz) to a Dual-core i7-4510U (2GHz Boost to 3.1GHz) but with the choices between a better dedicated graphics card and an integrated Intel Graphics, I went with the latter graphics card option upgrade (as opposed to the better yet 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M Graphics upgrade). Was it a better idea to do so? I've read mostly that it is a no-brainer, but mainly did not want to compromise the extremely fast speeds I get when I multitask on my quad-core machine to the dual-core that I'm getting with the i7-4510U. I do not game much if at all (Starcraft 2) and most of my usage is relegated to watching HD movies, some photo editing here and there on Photoshop, listening to music and browsing. However the more that I think about it, I should gone for the GTX 850M graphics upgrade instead!

And here's a video I found. It's not that great of a video, but it's enough if the high-res images aren't doing you any justice. It's a brief rundown and he compares the new Envy 15t to his older Envy 17.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  10. E90dima

E90dima Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 840m is not bad, for the average gamer. The dual -core I7 cpu are more than adequate, and give you better battery life. Let us know how it goes, and welcome to the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.