ENVY 15-kXXX / ENVY 15-qXXX / ENVY 17-kXXX Notebooks (2014)

Discussion in 'HP' started by T2050, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The refresh looks pretty much industry standard across the board in with many manufactures this year, some others have a few new models in there catalogue. The chipset is not changing and the processor is just a very small clock bump, there is no need to change an existing product drastically but just to refresh that too. In order to stay inline with the refresh, timing must stay inline as well to fit into the like of Computex and Discover HP, otherwise what are they going to show off.

There are plenty of people always in the market for products, thus they can still sell to the majority of buyers that either don't know any better or simply just don't care. After all they still get a new product that no one has used and is plenty fast.

Personally from the searching I have done, there will be no mobile quad core Broadwell this year, that will be here at earliest 2015 first quarter some stage. With that it is actually sometime away yet, there is still over 6 months till the year is over, then a wait till market from there. Broadwell will no doubt be better, but much the same like Haswell in its core architecture. The wait for a new product such as Skylake is very far away from today.

Discounting from where I can see it is called by HP as "End of Financial Year Sale", they are offering 25% in my particular zone of the planet. What more is HP need to clear old inventory to make way for the refreshed models, otherwise no one will buy their old stock, then HP will not be able to move/sell it. Hence where some of the wait will comes into it.

Personally I have been disgusted with the build quality with the units I have received, although that said, it may have been bad luck that I received many a problem unit one after the other. Overall in my case I go for HP as they are readily available in retail stores from where I am at, thus a easily obtainable on any given day. Performance is pretty good for the dollars spent in most cases, plus retail stores that are bricks and mortar tend to shift bulk stock, therefore often have specials that out strip online retailers.

Parts are generally staying the same, unfortunately that means the same old problem parts in the refresh. Although the 850M is looking such good shape even if it is DDR3, the updated 850M GPU alone is a very attractive option as that is genuine new architecture, this give it some merit. Changing the touchpad the a glass coated design will fix a major flaw in the original design. To bad about the display panel however, the touch sensor (digitiser) actually works pretty nice.

I think there will maybe be a major design change at Broadwell release, then a carry over of chassis and associated parts to Skylake. If not then, then certainly a design change at Skylake.

2. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    pfff looks like the HP Envy 15-qXXX has already been out for some time now, in the form of the HP Envy m6. It was said not to confused these two models, but with the data I now have so far, they are exactly the same!

HP ENVY TouchSmart M6-n012dx 15.6" Laptop Review 2014 - YouTube

The only difference I can see between the reviewed model on you tube and the 15-q is the m6 is running dual core processor, chipset no doubt is HM87, no discrete graphics, and appears to have the same inverting at the slightest back tilt Chimei panel. The updated m6 in the other video on notebook check which HP run a video on and gave then a hand on, has the exact same quad core processor and 850M the 15-q will be using. There really is no difference, this is just a bunch of rebranding of the same product, shame on HP!

One other thing, the newer m6 and 15-q models have two less speakers than the 15-j. These two speakers have been removed from the bottom front.

And another thing, if you look at the chassis, there is now no finger print reader, a removal of a feature. I personally never used mine much, but HP will not pass any savings on to you.

3. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My order came in for the 15-q today, am can confirm it is pretty much a darn disappointment. It is exactly the same as last years 15-j model externally with some features removed.

I was going to take the 15-q, but the fat bald headed right guy next to the sale person who was actually severing me said, I couldn't see it turned on, quote "if we turn it on, then windows will be activated". He persisted, then I said I am not buying it.

Anyhow, the keyboard flex is just as bad as 15-j (if you say yours doesn't have it, your just kidding yourself and not noticing it, I have seen this on at least 20 different 15-j models over the past year, these all have some varying flex on the left hand side, simply there is no support under the keyboard by design nature). The only change is the keyboard is now painted silver. Also this is the third machine I have seen up really close inspection that has a random keyboard key sticking up in the air

2 speakers have been removed from the bottom front. No longer has 4 speakers like the 15-j

There is now no finger print reader at all. The 15-j has a finger print read as standard

Original sale guy (who was reasonable ok but inexperienced) finally got the machine running just before the other fat bald guy came back after leaving for a short time, but by then only made it into the BIOS. I could see the screen washed out badly when tiled back, certainly TN panel which I suspect is likely a Chimei panel.

The processor listed on the side of the box does have i7-4712HQ

The touchpad is made of a glass surface which is certainly an improvement, but unfortunately cause "it couldn't be turned on, as it will activate windows", I had no way to test it.

Couldn't verify the GPU, as above "it couldn't be turned on, as it will activate windows"

Bottom line is, if you are in the market for a 15-j and want it now, then do go for the 15-q just to get the much better touchpad surface mainly, or the 850M if you can get it. Otherwise if your are looking for something actually new, it is not it.

One last thing, don't buy from a retail shop that have any staff that treat you with poor customer service just before you hand you money over.

4. AntonioDB

AntonioDB Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    These are very bad news!
    HP is making a very bad business. I'm dissapointed.

PS: My 15-J has not any keyboard flex.

Sent by Tapatalk

5. E90dima

E90dima Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Obviously there is in that particular diagram, although the finger print reader is not present on the pre-built model, where a lot of people worldwide buy these. However certain countries have a CTO online ordering system may have the option to choose this feature. Finger printer reader has always been a standard feature in pre-built for many years in my country, which is a disappointment to see it gone.

I don't think I am being picky about the keyboard. If you accept a notebook with any keys on the keyboard (spending many hundreds of dollars) either sticky or actually sticking up in the air (not flush) then you are an idiot.
    In any case, I personally had my hand on the 15-q, where you have not yet. The keyboard on the left hand side had a lot of flex on the unit I checked. The pressure in which the keyboard was mount to the base unit appear as it was pushing up the keyboard unit ~1mm or so, thus was raised in that area.

7. capyoda

capyoda Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    good find. kept thinking the "new" 15-q looks super similar to something I've seen before but just couldn't place it.

8. capyoda

capyoda Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's fourth of July special on the Envy 15-qXXX and Envy 17-kXXX now:

JULY75 for $75 off - stacks with the instant savings on HP right now

$754.99 - HP Envy 17t (2014) Core i7-4510U, 12GB RAM, Full HD 1080p, GeForce GTX 850M

$864.99 - HP Envy 17t (2014) Core i7-4510U, 12GB RAM, Full HD 1080p, GeForce GTX 850M

at $755 for a full HD + GTX 850M isn't too bad but not sure about build quality that I'm reading in this thread right now...

EDIT: found another JULY100 for $100 off.. not sure what the requirement/threshold is.

9. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Problem I have with the 15-k model 850M in this configuration is the processor is a dual core. Which means it will be limited with newer games performance.

In my country HP are way overpricing RRP of the 15-q model which is in US dollars $2367

I was offered it with a 25% discount during a promotion, but even then the price in US dollars $1775 which is a freaking rip off for the poor quality keyboard and bad TN screen.

$1775 does not include a SSD cache or neither a Intel 7260ac, it comes with no cache and just a 1x1 wireless adapter.

$1775 is not a discount.

10. mEatWad

mEatWad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a big difference between the 840m vs 850m . It's a $70 difference . I don't think the 2gig vs 4 gig VRAM will matter too much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.