ENVY 15-kXXX / ENVY 15-qXXX / ENVY 17-kXXX Notebooks (2014)

Discussion in 'HP' started by T2050, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally I loved the way envy 15 looked but after their ULV refresh I hate it.
    I'm personally throwing my money on Asus n550jk for sake of better design and performance.

2. E90dima

E90dima Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They still have it, its the Envy 15 slim touch aka, ENVY 15t-Q100. Identical to last years except, for larger touchpad. Based on drivers, It looks like it will get the quad-core i7 4712HQ, and GTX850M, my guess sometime in July.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=7258299&sw_lang=

3. E90dima

E90dima Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would wait a little. the Envy 15 slim touch will get options for GTX850m, and the i7-4712HQ soon.

4. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The touchpad on the 15-q model is sure to make a huge difference to the product, the touchpad on the 15-j is boarder line unusable.
    The new touch pad is already used on an Envy 13 TouchSmart. If you have had a chance to try it out e.g. in a store on a display shelve, it has the same free smooth finger slide similar to MacBook.

The 850M GPU simply is going to be fast, just because it is Maxwell and so new. Yeah maybe not high-end but surely should not disappoint.

Problem I have is the deal breaker here is going to be he terrible re-used Chimei panel that looks set to be in the touch model, which will be the only model I can get early.

btw. I still have the 15-q featuring i7-4712HQ with 850M on order, ETA is 1st July. I am still debating with myself if I will pick it up or not, even though I have picked this up with 25% discount, the brick and mortar retailer have way over priced the retail price, thus the discount does not shine, therefore would be cheaper to buy the unit from most online shops.

5. mEatWad

mEatWad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can wait till beginning July. I'll research this other option. I don't use the touch pad or touch screen unless it completely flips around like the Lenovo yoga. I also noticed that the intel 4700 was the main culprit in my toshiba x70 (got stolen, long story don't ask) when temps used to spike up in the 90's C during gaming . Graphics chip used to stay in the 70's whereas the processor would in the 90's. So thought maybe a dual core would be better due to thermal issues in a laptop

6. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i7-4712HQ is a 37W processor vs the i7-4700MQ which is 47W

From past experience with the i7-4702MQ which is a 37W processor, it ran pretty cool often 10-20c cooler when gaming than the i7-4700MQ in the same platform.
    Although there is an overhead with the more powerful GPU inside that closes the thermal gap.
    In general the 37W processor version did not ramp the fan to high, and if it did it would take a long time before it would do so.

7. E90dima

E90dima Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have and envy touchsmart 15 with the chimei screen, and it's not that bad. Yes the viewing angles aren't the best, but it's not unbearable. I actually like it. Yes ips panel would be better. Another note, we don't even know for sure which panel they will use.

8. Loney111111

Loney111111 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i7-4700MQ throttles less than the 4702HQ simply due to a higher TDP, especially if OCed (assuming that the cooling assembly can handle the additional thermal load).

9. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I found the cooling system in last years 15-j using the i7-4702MQ with 750M to be reasonable for a HP machine at least.

This years 15-q used the same fan part number, we know this much that will move same amount of air. The i7-4712HQ is 37W when paired with 850M which is the only processor allowed with the combo of the two, therefore with this taken into account the 850M maybe a little less hungry on the power usage, hopefully run slightly cooler.

The 15-q heatsink has a new part number therefore is different. If I was to make an assumption then should have the same cooling capability, only the outlay to fit the position of CPU and GPU changed, with dimention to fit BGA mounted processor.

10. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I personally can't understand their tactics about such a long refresh delay.
    It's over 2 weeks since they have released their useless models with ULV and Envy 15t slim with just core i5 with overpriced tag.
    It's already June and after few months Intel's new broadwell will come, I can't understand what they are waiting for to release their refresh models with core i7 and nvidia 850m with reasonable price.
    Also they discountinued all of previous envy 15 touchsmart laptops even those with nvidia 840m for no apparent reason than being acting like greedy so that peoples only buy their ULV refresh if they want powerful graphics.
    This whole tactics is out of mind.
    Personally I preferred only HP in laptops simply because of what their build quality has been in past years, But from Haswell refresh, They have went way down in their quality and even can't stand against other competitors at high price.
    The problem is simple, They are giving same components to ALL of the buyers; Those who buys laptop with cheaper configuration and Those who buys with highest configuration will get same basic hardware. The biggest example is cheapest TN LED display for all configurations and a flexing keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.