ENVY 15-kXXX / ENVY 15-qXXX / ENVY 17-kXXX Notebooks (2014)

Discussion in 'HP' started by T2050, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. justinkw1

justinkw1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. 7words

7words Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice find there.

Things I noticed about the video:

The panel is definitely an IPS screen (or similar technology), just watch the camera pan around it, especially from the bottom and the bottom angles. Display appears bright with rich looking colours, rather than washed out. Say in video it is FHD.

The Envy m6 looks like an identical re-hash of last years chassis, thin at the front and thick at the back. Vents, ports, back, access door, keyboard, silver plastic fat lid, and shape of everything is exactly the same as the Envy 15-j, with the only difference being the touchpad and the colour scheme.

There is some info on the sticker underneath, can only make a small tiny details out on it, not enough to warrant anything grand, but does has prototype on the sticker pretty large, which suggests this is still little awhile away from market. That said looks like it is fully baked and not much if nothing was missing, therefore production likely already started or just around the corner very shortly.

The keyboard does not appear to have stray keys, less hope the flex has been fixed, although is same chassis, then maybe not.

If you look to the left on the bench (start of video) is what look to be a black/red version of the Envy that are in the photo's link a couple of post above this.

Translation with photos here:

http://translate.google.co.nz/trans...-2014-Hands-On.118670.0.html&biw=1366&bih=673

NVidia 850M with only DDR3 at just 900MHz, total bandwidth 28.8GB/s booo

i7-4712HQ refresh processor, which is soldered on not removable BGA chip. Does have full feature set enabled, e.g. VT-d

5. Patriots2001

Patriots2001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Patriots2001

Patriots2001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So HP is going to to eventually be using a high end CPU to go along with the GTX 850M. I will wait for this version to be released and see reviews for it. Do you know of a release date for this version? I hope by August/September as I am in the market for a solid notebook for school. I'm fine with the GTX 850M as the GPU but I want an I7 quad core for my CPU.

7. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Finally it is here

Forget last years 2013 model, the new 2014 is now up for purchase with i7-4710HQ (supports VT-d) quad core.

**NEW** HP ENVY - 15t Touch | HP® Official Store

Damm, just noticed, cannot configure with NVidia 850M (Maxwell) with the quad core option.

8. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HP ENVY 15-k000 and HP Pavilion 15-p000

After watching the video can confirm that accessing HDD, wireless card, and RAM is going to suck on the Envy model. There are NO user accessible bottom covers

RAM and wireless require the entire bottom chassis to be unscrewed. Worse still is the RAM is under the motherboard that is screwed down on top of bottom chassis, placement is somewhere near under the touchpad but under the motherboard.

Fortunately (strangely) the keyboard is accessed from the top without taking the motherboard out, but getting the keyboard out is not that easy. Let just hope that the keyboard fitting does not flex to much with this altered design, as the keyboard looks much the same design as the 15-j000, although is different.

Appears to me that flex will be reduced looking at the back plate of the keyboard on the 15-k, as it had less holes in it compared to last years 15-j model. I would think it be around the W keys and near the 4 key of the numeric keyboard near the Enter key.

I suspecting after looking at this photo for awhile, that there maybe bad flex around the WASD keys. Take a look at the support, there is a huge hole with a small circle ring in the centre, I am doubting it will be enough to restrain flex in this area with such a large cut out.

Envy 15-k000.JPG

Wondering what it look like under the keyboard. Here is a video with full instructions and animated photos on how to get inside.

Removing and Replacing the Top Cover for HP ENVY 15-k000 and HP Pavilion 15-p000 Notebook PCs | HP® Support

HP ENVY 15-q000

Envy 15-q000 models are thinly starting to appear. I am assuming these are the more powerful version or higher version of the 15-k000 models.

Going on the specs below, I can find an actual part number, but cannot find actual details on HP. Although looking at the part number a model starting with 15-q then this is likely the true quad core replacement for the main Envy 15 model with the greatest specs.

ENVY 15-q005TX

Touch 15.6in FHD just maybe the IPS version as seen in the video, if not IPS then looks like a much better panel than last year from the viewing angles in the video.

4712HQ 3.3GHz this is certainly the BGA chip (not socketed) and does have VT-d enabled, plus falls into the 37W TDP.

16GB will be DDR3L-1600 and likely 2x 8GB modules.

1.5TB hard drive, guessing will have the standard 8GB cache.

4GFX almost certain this will be the NVidia 850M (as processor is 37W TDP), would be sure anything lower than 4GB RAM will be 840M otherwise.

ENVY 15-q005TX Touch 15.6in FHD i7 4712HQ 3.3GHz 16GB 1.5TB 4GFX W8.1 Silver http://www.direct.co.nz/hp/index.ph...05tx-fhd-i7-16gb-1-5tb-4gfx-w8-j3z15pa-detail

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Product.aspx?pdetail=P334467

9. E90dima

E90dima Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow, if HP makes a quad i7 with gtx850m and FHD 1080p, under $1000, then that will be an awesome, powerful, good looking and very economical. It would probably be the best all around notebook your could currently get. I'm going to wait and see :thumbsup:

10. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is what I am certain with over the last few days, pretty much there are two different 15 inch Envy's for 2014

HP 15-p = model which will be aimed at the lower end, similar design as the k model, although likely lacking in features, basically the pavilion model.

Envy 15-k = model to fill gap where there is no optical drive previously, now there is, and more leaning towards ultra low voltage processors with discrete graphics, small battery capacity.

Envy 15-q = model which I don't know little about, but based on the specs is looking very similar to the 15-j model, which I suspect that will be using the same chassis from last year and more than likely the same chipset, with different touchpad made out of glass. Has no optical drive on this model.

I have personally have on pre-order (could be ~10 days away) the new 15-q model which is an HP Envy 15-q005TX, which is the only highest pre-built model that I can get. This is certainly re-fresh processor, either i7-4712MQ or i7-4712HQ, the actual details listed at the supplier has it with the MQ processor and not the HQ, which definitely has the 850M with 4GB DDR3, and FHD touch screen. No optical drive, and only 1x1 wireless.

I know there is a cheaper 15-q004TX in the works somewhere, not sure if FHD but might be, although does have a 850M, this model is cheaper, likely as it does not offer as much RAM and HDD space which usually pay way to much for anyway.

In any case these are way over priced where I am at, when converting to USD, the price is ridiculous even with a discount. And if I end up with last year model with a paint job and a different touch pad, then really just a GPU change, then I doubt that I will pick it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.