ENVY 15-kXXX / ENVY 15-qXXX / ENVY 17-kXXX Notebooks (2014)

Discussion in 'HP' started by T2050, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    About this time last year we heard of the new models for 2013 which was the mostly the Envy J line, which basically was a redesign of the 2012 DV6. Different of course but in a par and inline around that particular price point.

No idea what the resign will look like. I am expecting these to be standard features.

i7-4710MQ (optional i7-4810MQ and i7-4910MQ), these are unfortunately not newer stepping. I was hoping that thermals could have been improved with a new stepping, as it is just a refresh, so not going to happen.

Nvidia GT 840M, based on Maxwell. This is already out, so basically no brainer. Hoping for a 850M with 128bit bus and a return to GDDR5, although HP have been pretty greedy cutting costs acting like uncle scrooge and charging the same for (G)DDR3.

Intel chipset HM97. The 9 series chipset will be out on desktop in a few weeks from now, so basically way I see it should be in production right now with the notebooks at are going to be genuine new 2014 models, if that is the case.

M.2 slot for the newer SSD drives. I see little point moving backward to old standard, especially if HM97 has native support for this feature, again this could tie into cost and current inventory.

Hopes for the new 2014 models:

FHD screen that is IPS as like used in the 2012 model. Considering it is now 2014 this is not to much to ask, and one definitive reason why I sold my Envy 2013 model and kept my DV6 Envy 2012 model. If HP releases another terrible FHD screen as such in the 2013 model, then I will not be buying the 2014 model.

GDDR5 graphics memory on graphics options above 840M. As mentioned above this needs to come back, GDDR5 was a heavily promoted feature in 2011. We had this in 2011 and 2012, then moved backwards in 2013. I feel that no GDDR5 option in 2014 would be ridiculous.

Keyboard (backlit) that does not flex badly. Anyone that does not know what flex it, its when a key is pressed and several surrounding keys move down with it. Any key that is press is usually very results with not just the key being press but the entire underlying membrane moving down with it, which is unacceptable on a premium notebook, actually any on notebook.

Alloy construction. Not cheap alloy colour plastics on the lid. The more alloy the better, metal in most cases is more ridged. Last years 2013 Envy is easily twisted, not firm, and does not sit on all 4 base feet especially when the screen is opened.

AC wireless of at least 2x2. Please no more of these cheap 1x1 wireless cards that cannot connect any faster than 72Mbps, these are extremely slow at best, no means should even be called N standard.

Just to be better than any thing we have had before in all areas. Although after write what I have pointed out and what I hope for, somehow I can't see most of this happening.

I am guessing could be in the next few days (if very lucky), maybe even mid May, almost certainly in June during Comptex Taipei. Has anyone heard of any leaks for 2014 models, or are aware of looming announcement date?

2. justinkw1

justinkw1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 2014 HP ENVY models will be available pretty soon from the looks of it. No confirmed information found yet about how the new lineup looks or what they will have, but I do know the naming scheme that will be used.

The ENVY 15 lineup will definitely be refreshed (if you look here), and will be named the ENVY 15-kXXX series (where X is a number, probably denoting Intel processor models) and ENVY 15-qXXX series (where X is a number, probably denoting AMD processor models). The ENVY 17 refresh will probably follow a very similar naming structure.

Hopefully more information will become available in the coming days. :)

3. necrophyte

necrophyte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lets hope the ENVY series becomes the original ENVY series with adequate mid-high-end hardware (especially the gpu; 850m is not high-end) again, and not envy branded ex-pavillions with adequate crappy hardware and support... or at least they make a top model with far better hardware than the others.
    such hardware would be: high-end gpu (well-cooled, the cpu ex aequo), thunderbolt 2, 120hz display and/or IPS/radiance display, forcepad...

though i am pretty sure im getting back to the elitebooks/zbooks when the time for my ENVY 17 3D ends, which will be in q4/2014 at the latest. no more envy branded pavillion crapbooks and even crappier support, which now even wants to charge me for asking anything technical about my ENVY 17 3D since its warranty is over, for me.

4. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only reason I am still interested in HP, seem to get reasonable bang for buck, and the fact that walk in retail store (close to me) stock mainly HP, which allows me to view, and then at times buy at discounted rates.

I am wondering is the ENVY 15-kXXX series is related to the already released M6 models?

I very much doubt HP will make a return to their older Envy line (quality), the re-branding downwards has already been done for ~2 years now. That market may have long dried up, and might of not been profitable to be competitive. Hence not to drop the brand name, but to shift it to trick buyers that they are getting something more special for their money.

Other hopes for wish list:

Trackpad, please oh please make this better. A large trackpad on the Envy 15-j (2013) does not make it better. The surface on the trackpad is terrible (just a piece of plastic), and had little if no glide between finger and trackpad. I know HP have used glass type trackpads on other models they produce (some business models, I believe the M6 might have it too), a glass type trackpad needs to go onto the Envy 15. Keep it large, add slip surface (like glass), and please add in dedicated click buttons, there is plenty of room for these on 15 inch notebooks.

Been looking around, and a Maxwell based GTX 850M will fit nicely with a modest boost in performance, even though it will more than likely use DDR3 for vRAM, but this is very feasible. I very much doubt that it would get the GTX 860M with GDDR5. In any case I wonder if HP will even bother with anything with "GTX" in the name and likely stick solely to 840M, but if they don't then I can see them marketing the "GTX" name during promotion, just because it sounds better.

Improve the hinge so that is tight, not all filmy and floppy like the 2013 model is. Can move it back further on the non-touch models at least. I can see why the touch models have little give in the hinge to be pushed back, as it will fall over backwards due to the added weight in the lid.

Other thoughts for now:

Trawling the internet for any information, but cannot find a thing about any new models. I think it may have something to for with the lack of new hardware from Intel this year, even AMD have nothing at this stage not even a new A10 mobile based on steamroller. With Intel being usually the key motivator, there is just a speed bump processors refresh, which is nothing we don't see ever year usually within the first 6 months, really there has been nothing for 12 months.
    Other than that, hoping for a new chipset in the form of what I could suspect would be named HM97, although I cannot see nothing from anyone else making, releasing, or announcing this chipset. With that in mind, then could be awhile before anything is out from HP, and it there is, may only be a new chassis, rather than new internal hardware.
    At best might be just a CPU refresh and change to Nvidia 800 graphics, and in the AMD camp the R7 265M with DDR3. I doubt we will get R7 M265X as that has GDDR5, and HP will not want to give us that.

5. justinkw1

justinkw1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Please note: the ENVY 15-kXXX series is not related to the Pavilion m6-kXXX series. There are distinctions between the two series (in terms of both name and generation). Not to mention that each series is aimed at a different group of users (performance vs. casual users).

I do have a little more information about the graphics card that the ENVY 15 refresh will have; however, I think it will disappoint some of you here - it will be an NVIDIA GeForce 840M. At least, that's what the driver documentation strongly hints (sp65231). The Softpaq's INF file does suggest though that HP may be using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M in some of their notebook PCs, but I'm not sure if this will be an option for North American markets. This reflects what we've seen in the ENVY 15/17 J series.

6. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In NZ all the pre-built models that are M6 are sold as Envy, although there are no longer any M6 of any kind on the market here at this stage. When I look at the 2012 models that are either DV6 or M6, both were sold as Envy, and the main difference I seen with these pre-built models was the thickness of the chassis, specs were typically the same.
    Although I see what you are pointing out looking back at the link you have provided, as that is pointing directly to 15 inch model.

Yep no doubt the 840M will be in it, as we already have that as a new option. Really suspect the same as last year, 37W TDP processor with a 850M, with that in mind the quad core version with likely be a i7-4712MQ and 850M, if HP does not re-use the i7-4702MQ primarily.

Call me impatient, but cant wait to get hand on new models. I would definably suspect that they could be (very close to) in a local store in New Zealand right now. Seems HP ship out the pre-built models super early, some stock is even sitting out the back of some stores up to 4-7 weeks before they even are list or brought out to the floor. How do I know this, the retailers are getting in around ~5 units in with the shipping tag still on the box (showing the date sent and received), when I buy the unit for our remote regional locations in this spread out country.

7. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone heard (rumors) of anything new from HP yet, especially around a Envy 15 replacement?

8. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I expect an announcement close to June 2nd when Computex takes place.

9. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am wondering if HP are holding off till the end of year (or early 2015) for Broadwell, as the current Intel refresh is not inspiring (100MHz bump and same stepping) and does not need a chipset upgrade, therefore can continue to use the same platform.

10. E90dima

E90dima Notebook Guru

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.