ENVY 15-jXXX / ENVY 17-jXXX Notebooks (2013)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agn727

agn727 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm VERY worried about that. From what I've read, the entire case has to be cracked apart. Even two of the rubber feet on the bottom have to be ripped off to gain access to a screw hidden under each one. So, I'm thinking HP doesn't consider it user accessible.

But, for anyone reading this in the future, don't rely on the scary things I'm saying here. This is my understanding at the moment. But I hope I'm just badly misinformed...

2. KillroyWasHere

KillroyWasHere Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got my 15t today and I love it. Absolutely hate Windows 8 though. I will install Windows 7 even if it kills me.

3. agn727

agn727 Newbie

Reputations:
    HP mistakenly sent me a non-TouchSmart Envy 17. They made it up to me by building a new one and throwing in 2nd day shipping, recovery discs and doubled the memory from 8GB to 16GB.

So, for the next few days, I'll have both laptops. Aside from one having the touch screen and an extra 8GB RAM, they're identically configured. (They also have different webcam descriptions, though I was told they're identical units.) The TouchSmart version seems noticeably heavier, however - perhaps because it has the metal spacer in the 2nd drive bay while the non-touch laptop had nothing there? The touch version also gets better Windows Experience Scores in the graphics department, though they both have the same NVIDIA GT 740M card.

If anyone wants anything compared, just ask, and I'll do my best...

4. yjsjin

yjsjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i jus got my envy 15, pretty nice, but when i played one game the fan at max speed whistles, does anyone have same problem? its knda noisy. and so i tried undervolting with Rightmark and it cant detect cpu..nor choose the voltage da hell?

5. yjsjin

yjsjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    im getting 40C on idle and 80C max when playing game. anyone gettin these range?

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I received my Touchsmart 15 and non-touchsmart 15 yesterday. The non-touchsmart had the i7-4700 while the touchsmart had the 4702 (lower TDP) - otherwise identical.

I returned the non-touchsmart.

The touchsmart is noticeably heavier, but both are still fairly light compared to previous Envy 15s. The screen on the non-touch seemed flimsy, though as a display it was OK - less reflective than the touchsmart screen (which does get pretty reflective).

The 4700 scored .1 higher on the WEI CPU test than the 4702, but both machines got identical battery life (under about an hour of battery bar testing) - presumably the touchscreen uses more juice but it appears that the 4702's lower TDP makes up the difference.

The touchpad is not as annoying as previous Envy 15s or Envy 17s or even last year's dm4 - I've worked with several HP laptops and the touchpad has been far and away the worst element of all of them. I don't accidentally end up clicking things on this one - it's not the most awesome touchpad ever, but as an input device it is functional and doesn't mess me up, which I like.

Installed a Plextor 256 gig mSATA and an Intel wireless AC card. Very, very easy to do on the 15 - remove the battery, remove one screw, slide in, attach antennas, done. Easiest laptop upgrade I've ever done. Followed the procedures on this board to install Win8 onto the mSATA - worked perfectly. A little frustrating having to format my Win8 USB install for FAT32 but worth the effort.

I do wish that these had the 750M and not the 740M but I'll live. Nice little machine for a grand.

7. yjsjin

yjsjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    okay so i was whining about the temperatures, after updating the 740m graphics card (to the latest beta vr.) now while playin games it idels at 60~65C. so u guys should try that

8. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the 750M or the lack of this, its been a few months now, and still no 750M for the USA, does this mean it pretty much not going to be released in the US?

9. KillroyWasHere

Reputations:
    I tried to install Windows 7 from both a CD and a USB stick and both failed on the initial screen due a missing CD/DVD driver. It asks to look for the driver on a different location but it won't even recognize either a CD or the USB stick. It seems that the only drive it sees is the original C:\ drive and all its partitions. How the heck are you supposed to load the driver if it won't even give you an option to load a separate location?

BTW, this was the same issue I had on the 4-1130US.

10. KillroyWasHere

Reputations:
    I finally got Windows 7 installed on my mSATA SSD drive but I am having a hard time with drivers. Most of the ones on HP are locked to Windows 8.

Anyone know of any HP laptops that have Windows 7 AND a 740M?

I got ethernet working so far and working on Windows update to see if I can find the rest but the 740M seems to be locked so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.