ENVY 15-jXXX / ENVY 17-jXXX Notebooks (2013)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zwolf4444

zwolf4444 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Interesting. Can you check what display panel you have using HwInfo64 or something like that?

2. DoctorT

DoctorT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got the AUO32ED.

3. neveroffline

neveroffline Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine gets here next week (was a delay in production). I will test the config on battery, if I can get 6.5+ hrs I will probably keep it - otherwise I will return it. I went with the built in HD graphics to avoid the extra power draw. I did look at the Dell 7537, and it has the lower power draw, but not quite the power I need out of a laptop processor.

Has anyone tested the 15t-j100 yet with the HD 4600 on low brightness and screen on w web browsing (1920x1080 HD)? At least with HP's, aftermarket batts are common, so I'm sure we can expect a bigger battery that fits this line of envys within 6 months.

4. techguy009

techguy009 Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine should be shipped on December 6th, Here is what I ordered. Please tell me if I should cancel this order now due to the screen issues.
    Your customized HP ENVY 15t-j100 Select Edition Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) includes:
    • Windows 8.1 64
    • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Processor
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics with 4096MB of dedicated video memory
    • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • 24GB flash Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    • No Additional Office Software
    • Security Software Trial
    • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    • No Internal DVD or CD Drive
    • Backlit Keyboard
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
    • 802.11b/g/n 2x2 WLAN and Bluetooth® [2x2]

5. DoctorT

DoctorT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a really similar spec, (full hd too) and I find it perfectly fine.
    All in all I'm really satisfied with it (esp with the price), and the performance is really good too.
    Little suggestion though, if install Intel XTU on it, you can raise the turbo clock on it by .2 gHz, and undervolt it. You'll get more performance, run cooler, and use less battery.
    I'm thinking of putting a new wifi card in here (Intel 7260 AC) and was wondering if anyone can confirm that it works. I hear that some other laptops blacklist other wifi cards but I don't know about this one.

6. dibe

dibe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just checked my display panel model and also have the AUO32ED, I definitely have the screen door issue with mine. Looks like its mixed bag of what you will get.

7. tony78201

tony78201 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how can you tell which display panel model you have?

8. techguy009

techguy009 Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, good luck trying to cancel an HP order. What a crazy nightmare and it will probably still ship. I will obviously have to use the RMA process, I hope it doesn't suck as well. Never ordering another HP.

9. zwolf4444

zwolf4444 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To figure out your screen model number, HWiNFO64 is excellent. Run the portable x64 version, click X on the CPU screen that first pops up, then click on the plus sign next to monitor, then click on the panel.

I have actually had a positive experience returning my HP. Just asked, they gave me a shipping label, and I sent it right back. Super easy.

Based on my research, I believe the screen door effect isn't the kind of thing that is a defect or would be different between different units of the same panel. If you have the AUO32ED, it has the screen door effect. I think just some people don't see it, depending on the particulars of your vision. I have a friend who absolutely could not see it on mine, no matter how close he got to the screen, whereas to me it was as clear as day. Lots of people also don't see it until it's pointed out (and then they can't unsee it). So I think it's less about it being a mixed bag of what laptop you get, and more about it being a mixed bag of what vision you get. :). I could be wrong though. DoctorT, can you take a macro shot of your screen? Or even just a close up regular shot of the screen?

10. SSDdrivei7

SSDdrivei7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @kevin645:

Sounds like yours wasn't properly packed for shipping; you should have contacted HP and had it replaced immediately. You still should contact them. A damaged screen was never in the deal, eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.