ENVY 15-jXXX / ENVY 17-jXXX Notebooks (2013)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReStRaInEd19

ReStRaInEd19 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm if there is a difference between touch and non-touch as far a screen quality? I recently ordered my 15t-j100 in the non-touch version, and I am wonder what the screen will be like. I was in Best-Buy earlier and compared several of the HP Envy laptops they had (all TouchSmart). I was unimpressed with almost all of them and kept eyeing the Asus with the IPS panel until I came across a certain model that had a great panel basically on par with the ASUS. It was the m7-j020dx. It's still touch screen, and their website says it has an anti-glare finish. Is there a possibility that there is a 15 inch version with that panel?

2. nmm7772000

nmm7772000 Newbie

Reputations:
    can any anti-glare screen protector fixes the screen issues or even improves it , has anyone tried ??

3. kevin645

kevin645 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Guys
    I have the Envy 15 J000 - Quad
    I have a few issues.
    My screen has imprinted scratches of the keyboard and also there are some white spots on the screen. Is there a fix for this? The white spots are unseen with gaming and dark colors but in lighter colors it is very visible.

4. paulthuong

paulthuong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As a soon-to-be ex-owner of the envy 15 j100, I have to say that after a few days using the Dell 7537, I now noticed the screen door effect completely now and it is bloody damn awful. So yeah, there could be good TN panel (Dell 7737 for example), the screen on the Envy is just not worth mentioning when compared to an IPS. If you feel happy with you Envy, good for you. You got a great deal. For someone looking to buy this product line, unless you can't find anything else better (finance wise and power wise), please go with an IPS.
    As for those concerns above about the non touch and touch, anti-glare, screen scratched, I haven't been through any of these so I can't really give you an answer.

5. tony78201

tony78201 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    could there be a difference between the j100 touch and the non touch? my non touch has no screen door effect at all. it's a shame you have to return it

6. SSDdrivei7

SSDdrivei7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @neveroffline: You really shouldn't state something that is false: The Haswell Family i's all have heatsinks, heatpipes, which are indeed connected to the lone fan. Don't know where you got your info: 'new gen 4 i7's don't have cooling fans...'

As per NoteBookCheck:

The advantages of the Haswell architecture and the optionally usable Nvidia graphics are seen in low load. The Envy 17 only consumes 14.6 watts even with maximum screen brightness. This is quite a good rate for a 17.3-inch device. It is even only 7.9 watts with minimum screen brightness and 0.6 watts in standby.
    The power consumption climbs up to 69.7 watts during pure CPU load. Haswell is not known for working economically during load. However, the power consumption drops by over 10 watts when throttling occurs or the Turbo is not maxed out due to the system's temperature.
    And the fan screamed like a BANSHEE! :laugh: :)

7. dibe

dibe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my 15t-j100 nontouch a few days ago and the screen door effect on the display is quite noticeable for me and is really the only thing that is keeping me from loving this laptop.

Does anyone with the touch version of this laptop see any type of screen door effect on their touch version?

8. tenacious

tenacious Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine is supposed to ship on Dec 2 - will let you know when I receive it.

9. JunkStory

JunkStory Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried the touch 15t-j100 at the Microsoft store, and yes the screen door effect is noticeable even at a distance. The worst among all other laptops at the store. I really have no clue what HP did because none of my old HP's had this problem. You guys should return the laptop and write complaints to HP, because it really strains your eyes.

10. DoctorT

DoctorT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I have a j100 with the full HD screen, and I can't see any screen door effect here. I've looked really close (and far) and I got none.
    Overall, it's actually a really nice laptop (in my opinion). It has tons of power, and pretty good battery life.
    I got the i7-4702mq with the 750m (the i7 is "overclocked" by .2 ghz and undervolted by 75mv) and I can get about 5 hours easily with a good amount of wifi internet browsing and the like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.