Envy 15 IPS Red vs. Orange tally

Discussion in 'HP' started by Lvivkse, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Colors like red

1. My display can reproduce red (and violet)

27 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. My reds look to orange (and violet looks blue)

96 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. I don't have one and just want to vote because it's fun

115 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floppy312

Floppy312 Newbie

Reputations:
    Are your blues and whites fine? Some people report that the blues are faded, and the whites have a green cast.

I really want to buy this machine (the envy 15 3200), but since I plan to use it for photo editing, I need something that can accurately reproduce color. I don't necessarily need an aRGB capable monitor, but if the basic colors are not accurately reproduced, I won't have a choice but to take my money elsewhere.

2. timjuliani

timjuliani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The panel on the 17 was never an issue, only the IPS panel on the 15.

3. Floppy312

Floppy312 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clarification. Nonetheless, it seems some people who got the 3200 report no issues with reds, blues or whites, but others say the issue remains. Is it just a matter of luck? I would love to hear from more people who got the 3200 about this issue.

4. byunnbi

byunnbi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well I finally got to my side-by-side comparison with my Dell U2410, but I don't have a way to upload the pix since I don't have photobucket, flickr, etc. (or I could just be a complete noob--someone point me in the right direction and I'll gladly upload them).

In any case, I can tell you that I'm eating my foot, after my last comments about "virtually no distinction." While the reds on the new panels are still definitely not a natural, deep red, it's a noticeable improvement from the older panels. The red is at least almost on par with a Dell U2311h, and my Galaxy S phone. I wish I still had a Spyder calibrator to get some exact numbers, but having seen and worked with/on various displays, my guesstimate would be that color gamut coverage % remains the same/similar, but covers more of the red gamut. My Envy 14's red is definitely redder, but I didn't expect the E15 to be as good anyway since the E14's panel is 84% gamut, and the E15's is supposedly 60%. The reds are indistinguishable from the reds on my wife's Late 2011 Macbook 15 (1680x1050 panel), and in some cases (netflix website, fullscreen red in Paint), the E15 actually appears redder--and no, there is nothing "wrong" with the Macbook's panel.

It's very hard for me not to expect more though b/c I've been far too long spoiled by the likes of HP's dreamcolor display, Dell's no longer existent RGBLED XPS 16 display, and excellent desktop monitors... yet, in spite of that, I can confidently say that at least the color aspect of the new panels are no better or worse than the colors of a typical TN panel on the average laptop. That said, I always thought that given equal color reproduction, there is little/no reason not to opt for IPS or TN (at least on a laptop), so I think I can lay aside my gripes about the orange-y reds. I can always wish/complain about wanting a higher gamut, but I know that's not what I paid for, nor did HP advertise high-gamut displays on the E15 as they did with the E14.

I hope that helps someone out there. Again, I'd love to upload my comparison pix if I can.

5. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use tinypic.com... you don't even have to sign up.

6. byunnbi

byunnbi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, BigNerd! Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only had my phone to take the original with unfortunately, so I decided to use the phone again instead of my camera for the replaced panel. The colors of the whole shot are off (hence, the Dell display's red doesn't quite look red), but at least you get an idea of the comparison hopefully.

7. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yup mine is kinda like that i would say but alittle more reddish prolly just ur camera :p

8. timjuliani

timjuliani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I concur. And looking at the pics of my previous 15s (which are way back on this thread), I agree that the reds on the current version are definitely improved, and as I said recently, probably enough so to allow me to keep it. Certainly not worth another $1500 for an rMBP and the Mac OS.

Perhaps someday someone will make a PC laptop with great build quality, aesthetics, acceptable thermals, battery life and a kick screen with 95% gamut.

9. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    stupid HP had it i cant believe they effed it up. if only they fixed their qc/cs issues and put in a perfect screen. (maybe a more powerful gpu but not required) they would have had it in the bag
    especially with the prices. I dont think there is anywhere else i can get the same specs as my envy anywhere around 1.3k

10. byunnbi

byunnbi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I couldn't agree more... this upgrade was $150. I would gladly and without a split second hesitation pay $200-$250 for something like the E14 Radiance (84% gamut) but with IPS, and I'd call it darn close to a perfect laptop for the price range.