Envy 15 IPS Red vs. Orange tally

Discussion in 'HP' started by Lvivkse, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Colors like red

1. My display can reproduce red (and violet)

27 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. My reds look to orange (and violet looks blue)

96 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. I don't have one and just want to vote because it's fun

115 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    so wait do the orange and red look the same? mine there is a distinct difference

2. timjuliani

timjuliani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I mentioned, still looks distinctly orange to me, particularly in the full screen Paint comparison. Unfortunately this is what I expected, but I'm a bit confused by all of the posts that claim that Orangegate was no longer an issue. Perhaps these folks were not coming from a good screen or didn't have anything to compare.

3. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After sending back two HP Envy 15s for the screen, I finally bit the bullet and got a 2.6/16/512 Retina MacBook Pro. The Dell XPS Studio 16 with RGB-LED has finally been retired.

It's not cheap by any means but I must say a decent value. I'm warming up to OS X (running 10.8 'Mountain Lion' DP4), Windows via Boot Camp works well with default 2880x1800 resolution which is usable with text scaling at 150 or 200%. The Nvidia 650M GPU is pretty impressive too, and it runs silent under all but extreme load. Apple's proprietary GPU switching works great under OS X with battery life up to 8-9 hours using WiFi. The Nvidia GPU runs continuously under Windows with battery life reduced to 3-4 hours. The rMBP speakers are very good - by far the best laptop speakers I've heard - and vastly better than the Beats Audio in the Envy.

Anyway... if you like the form factor and put importance on a superior panel and GPU, and can afford the price of admission, give up on the Envy and get a rMBP.

4. pongalong

pongalong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like Apple's hardware, but I've never liked the company itself. It's practices and attitude, mostly coming from Jobs, always turned me off. It doesn't matter if other companies do similar, unethical things - that type of argument is a fallacy; playing questionably was understandable when Apple was the underdog, but as the big fish in the pond they haven't changed at all. And that's not including all the fanboy mania that also drives me nuts.

Still I wish a PC company would bite the bullet and make a system constructed as well as Apple does - luckily we're starting to see that now and they're still EPEAT friendly.

5. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I totally agree which is why I was always looking for an alternative in the 15-16" range. The Envy 15 was an obvious choice except for the screen that struggles with one of three primary colors. Sadly HP just seems incapable of putting out a complete product without a fatal flaw. Maybe Samsung eventually will, if they ever start offering premium panels.

Previously I didn't think the Apple hardware was worth the cost premium in the past, sure the unibody construction was nice but the displays were lower resolution TN panels, the GPU and CPU choices were unremarkable, speakers were mediocre, and the weight/size advantages at any particular size were marginal. The rMBP is the first Apple notebook that made it stand out from the competition in all these areas. The base model is reasonably priced too - if Apple had 25-33% off coupons like HP or Dell it would be a smoking deal. Best one can do with Apple is a 10% Educational or Small Business discount which is basically there for the taking if you claim it.

6. timjuliani

Reputations:
    The reds may be a bit better on this version than the last, perhaps enough for me to consider keeping it. And ow there appear to be issues with the new Dell. As for the rMBP, I just don't think I can personally justify an extra $1000 for a similarly spec'd machine. Could get a second ultrabook with that.

7. Pomtoon

Pomtoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You and me both, mate. I personally really admire Apple's hardware and that frankly no other companies' products are up to par with its quality (Microsoft's new ventures look pretty promising though) but I'm not a fan of the software. I do have an iPhone, but after the initial joy it has become quite monotonous, with any other product I would have changed the skin or something, but ios is so closed it isn't possible. Same as with Mac OS, I know it's improving a lot but I still much love windows and the $15 offer for windows 8 is BEAUTIFUL :GEEK:

Lastly, may seem kinda weird but I really don''t want to be grouped into those ppl who are so mainstream and "don't know anything about computers" and "have money to waste" so they get a mac. I know that personally, whenever I see some hipster in public obv showing off his mac, I instantly think "oh dear". Due to my attitude, if I had a mac I would actaully be ashamed to show it in public... :(

8. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

haha i feel the same way... and honestly, i dont find it worth the money. with the 2.2k i could get my 1.3k envy (prolly upgrade to 17 3d) and then buy an ultrabook for the 900$ left over for school.

9. timjuliani

Reputations:
    If the new XPS 15 were $400 more but had the RGBLED, I would consider that, but it doesn't, and now we hear about the throttling problems. The Lenovo Y580 is big and has a number pad, and the W530 is huge and fugly. I'm starting to think that I can live with this new version of semi-red, considering no other screens except the W530 and rMBP are probably any better, and I do have a calibrated monitor to deal with Lightroom.

10. eMaRe

eMaRe Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my Envy 17 non 3d...
    Paint test 255 0 0 reveals "redder" reds than an old dv9000 (not that that's fair) an iPhone and EQUAL reds to a Spyder 3 calibrated Samsung 226. Doesn't look orange to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.