Envy 15 IPS Red vs. Orange tally

Discussion in 'HP' started by Lvivkse, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Colors like red

1. My display can reproduce red (and violet)

27 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. My reds look to orange (and violet looks blue)

96 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. I don't have one and just want to vote because it's fun

115 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pongalong

pongalong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was supposed to receive it today but it looks like it's stuck in Memphis - I'm guessing in customs. My first laptop went through Anchorage and got here quickly.

2. byunnbi

byunnbi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, I just received and unwrapped my replacement Envy 15-3xxx, and confirmed that they did replace with a different screen than I had originally shipped to me. The original hardware ID was LGD0323, and the current one shows LGD037E (this was discussed a few pages ago in this thread).

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: I notice virtually no difference in reds/blues from before... now, I know that it's difficult to tell without having something to compare directly to, but I know burnt orange when I see it, and the red/blue desktop wallpaper HP shipped this with definitely doesn't appear as deep red/blue as I remember on my Dell U2410 (not that I'm expecting the E15 and 118% gamut Dell to be equal =P) or the relatively lower gamut Dell U2311h I have. I still plan to update my impressions with side-by-side pictures this weekend when I have access to my Dell. Based on pongalong's comparisons in another thread, I expect to be able to observe at least a little difference side-by-side with other displays--again, update w/ pix forthcoming.

For those of you concerned with repair service quality, timing, etc., I'm happy to report that I see no additional scuff marks, dings, dents, etc. after service. My entire top half (screen+bezel+cover) unit was replaced, which is actually a great deal for me b/c I had a slight but somewhat noticeable scratch on the top lid. Total time from HP's receiving the unit to SHIPPED status was exactly 2 weeks, which was disappointing b/c I was initially told to expect a few days. To be fair, HP technically shipped it on July 2nd (which would have put turnaround time closer to ~1.5 weeks), but the Colorado fires had delayed the return shipping by a few days. I wouldn't count the turnaround time as a loss for points, only because I had my old Thinkpad to turn to.

3. Pomtoon

Pomtoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So essentially are you saying that even though HP replaced the entire screen with a different one, the new one still can't produce proper reds? wow

4. byunnbi

byunnbi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As excited as I was about the replacement panel, when I found out the panel part number (a different number from the hardware ID I provided earlier), I knew I was being too optimistic in hoping for a COMPLETE FIX for the reds/blues; still I thought it was reasonable to expect at least an improvement. The minor difference in part numbers/revision suggest only a minor "fix", such as a manufacturer's software fix or possibly minor hardware tweaks, but almost definitely not a complete overhaul. Suffice to say, yeah, the new one appears unable to properly produce reds. </3

I'm curious about what the engineer who contacted me will say/do when I get back to him. Ugh... I realize I sound like I've already made the definitive comparison that I said I'll get to LATER, but I can't help but to conclude this replacement is essentially a dud just based on initial impressions.

... Maybe it's time I return to and follow through with my attempt to replace the display with that 95% AU Optronics panel...

5. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    how do i check panel again? cause i can forsure garantee you there is a difference b/w my panel and my friends with the envy 15 3xxx

6. tordogs

tordogs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pics or it didn't happen!:D Waiting for your friend to return so you can do the side-by-side with the 3xxx vs. 32xx. Use something we can recognize like cnn.com, pizzahut.com, an American flag, a stop sign; or this page:

Contrast - Lagom LCD test

Thanks again.

7. PaKii94

Reputations:
    lol alright ill try asap. its just gonna be wierd asking him for taking a pic haha

8. timjuliani

timjuliani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doing a full screen of MS Paint pure red would be even better...

9. PaKii94

Reputations:
    i did it for the laptop and the desktop screen..

10. timjuliani

timjuliani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Me too, just got home from a few days away and opened up the 15. Still looks orange compared to the xps 1640 RGBLED and dell IPS monitor. Took some pics but haven't gotten any that accurately reflect the difference. In fact, one set I took actually makes the 15 look more red, when it's certainly not in person.

I wish Dell had used the same screen in their new xps 15, it really is beautiful. Brighter than the HP, better colors, viewing angles fine. Sigh.