Envy 14 = Potential Heat Problems?

Discussion in 'HP' started by SS9221, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L3vi

L3vi Merry Christmas!

Reputations:
    Exactly. But I do see the appeal of having a quad core in such a small package. For me the extreme loss in battery life isn't worth it though. Still hoping there will be an all black non-glossy option, but that's wishful thinking. Someone needs to photoshop a pic of the Envy 14 and make it black, just to give me hope, lol.

2. addyct

addyct Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost every laptop that has an i7 Quad core in it has heat issues, even the bigger ones like the Envy 17 and 17" MBP. I don't see any way a 14" laptop wouldnt have those issues.

3. L3vi

L3vi Merry Christmas!

Reputations:
    The Envy 17 handles the heat moderately well. Internally at least. Temps after doing benchmarks were at a max of around 70C. The outside does get warm but at least its concentrated around the top left. I've seen and felt worse before. If the Envy 14 can handle the quad i7 as well as Envy 17, I'll be fairly surprised.

What I want to see is a quad core in a MBP, it'd be the first laptop/frying pan.

4. addyct

addyct Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    someone get out the pots. we need to boil some water.

6. tomnus

tomnus Newbie

Reputations:
    The new DV3-4000 (4016TX)series with 13.3 inch, core i7 720qm,512mb 5450 has no issues with heat.

7. derpderp

derpderp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea I understand your wattage concerns but 35W for a i5 or i7 620m is the peak clock consumption, while 45W is the peak consumption for all four cores under a heavy bench (the kind of bench the macbook had to reach 100°C). Even if HP offers the i7Quad it's heat consumption will rarely hit 45W because on most apps the monocore peak function will activate, and then the cpu consumption of a quad core is the same as a i5xx yet probably a little over 35W sinces its so high clocked. (ex gaming and else...)

If you convert mp3s, unrar massive files, or work in any of this kind of four core apps (its not a game, so theres no graphic card there building up extra heat, so the 4 cores at load becomes managable for the vent).
    On the other hand : you'd ask yourself, then why quads have heat problems but not i5's ??? Because on quads theres no graphic switch, and HD5650 (15-20Watts) produces already a lot of extra heat to dissipate even when not under load.

Think that HP designed the sink to be able to dissipate both cpu and graphic load for their i5 configurations, while i7 configs will have trouble to dissipate both graphical and cpu loads for two different reasons (620m being too high clocked + 1 iddle core to cool off, and 720QM having the 3 iddle cores to cool off even if only one of them is at peak).

Nevertheless we could think that since the i620 has graphic switching capability, the thermal dissipation will provide smooth and good temperatures under the use of integrated graphics, the poop will hit the fan only when running on discrete graphics for heavy games. We're afraid of temperatures around 90/100°C in load for CPU and graphic card (thats the heat limit at 100% fan speed manufacturers usually design their systems for). It's managable and playable, but it shortens the lifetime of the laptop quite a lot. Optimal temperatures would be 80/60°C at load for both the components and the battery (which gets hurt when exposed to heat).

Simplier we can take the N82JV of asus as an example :
    From the notebookreview official review.

Imo if you want a 620m into your envy, wait for someone to buy it before you do and sees how the cpu temp performs. N82 does 85°C asus worked it out very well, will hp be able to keep it under 90°C or will they not ? No idea... but based on the quad core envy 17 temperatures I am doubting the vent will be as good as asus'.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter anyways. 620m isn't offered on the Envy 14. But read other reviews of i7 quads and my point is that they run hot, I doubt the 620m will exceed that. TDP is the maximum power that a system must cool in order for it not to exceed its max core temp. So if the cooling system is designed for 45W TDP, that far and exceeds the 35W requirement (by ~ 30%). If it can cool 45W sufficiently it should more than be able to cool 35W, period.

9. derpderp

derpderp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some CPUs, such as newer Intel-CPUs, have TDP defined as the maximum power consumption running worst case workloads and some, like CPUs from Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), have the maximum power consumption defined as TDP.
    There are some engineering reasons for this pattern.
    For a given device, operating at a higher clock rate always requires more power.

As I said 45W is worst case workload scenario for quad cores (all four cores at 100% load). It rarely reaches 45W of TDP on the field and the heat problems of the quads comes from having to cool the always active video card. On envy 17 if I recall theres a separate vent for the gpu, on envy 14 there is noone, both are on the same fan on the same side which makes it even worse.

10. droid

droid Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh geeez HP. I wish HP realized folks use laptops on our laps, our beds, our couches! Why continue with haphazard design elements like vents on the bottom of a laptop? Makes no sense. If other brands can put the same components the Envy has into sub 1 inch designs that do not have vents on the bottom of a laptop, than HP has the same option. Right?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.