***ENVY 14 Gaming Lounge***

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicefella

nicefella Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am getting sub 30 FPS on Alan Wake and Skyrim at 720p. 1st Gen Envy 14 here anyone else in the same boat? I'm on newest drivers and updates for both games and the GPU :(

2. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    skyrim has never really played nice for me. not sure why. alan wake may require a bit more horsepower sadly.

3. rmartinezdl

rmartinezdl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Actually Im still using 10.2 if im not wrong, they give me the best performance of all games, I tried at 12.3 and no other drivers gave me a better performance than 10.2

alan wake runs at 30 fps (sometimes below 30) at 1024x768

to the guy saying his computer is overheating I had to order a new thermal paste, and placed 2 coper pieces so now transmits the heat better. My max temps are 88 when playing demanding games like bc2 or bf3.

normal gaming heats up to 80c max.

envy 14 has obviously some cooling problems, I bought a laptop coller, removed the under case and placed the laptop on top with the 3 fans below, and the computer was idling at 25c and reaching max temperatures of 75 when playing battlefield, I was even able to play bf3 at native resolution with 40 fps! so obviously heating steals power from the envy 14.

4. rmartinezdl

Reputations:
    11.10 is the drivers im using, those are the only ones that never failed to me!

5. blizard.wizard

blizard.wizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Funny problem for you guys. I just replaced the dead hdd in my envy with a 500GB Momentus XT. Day 2 after a fresh install, I start installing all my old programs and games to get back up and running. But now one of the problems I thought was caused by the broken hard drive.
    Whenever I play NBA 2k12, or FIFA 12 , anywhere from 5-25 min into playing, the computer just tries to enter sleep. No warnings, closing of programs or crashes. The comp just tries to sleep and sometimes hangs until I hard reboot.

I havn't been able reproduced the error with any other games than sports sims (FIFA and NBA). Skyrim, (murdered out w/ mods) and Amneisia work perfectly fine at pretty high settings.
    I am having bad lag issues in GTA even though the in-game benchmark settings say I'm using 401/1024mb

I am currently testing diffrent power plans. and will monitor the temps.

Could it be the GPU dying? I am experiencing no artifacts or BSODs. Currently running 12.3 drivers . But the problem manifested ever since ver. 11.8

6. rmartinezdl

Reputations:
    Anyone tried MP3 on their envy? not sure if I should buy it.

7. harpwned

harpwned Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i know this is a very late response to you, but i've had the same problem when i was running....actually can't remember which game i was running.

i found that it was an overheating issue. i cleaned all the dust out of all the fans and it didnt' happen again

8. Fat Dragon

Fat Dragon Just this guy, you know?

Reputations:
    Thread may be dead by now, but I'm putting this out there.

My old Dell with 8400M GS ran Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl fairly well. When I got my Envy 14 and tried to run Call of Pripyat I had issues where the game took several minutes to load the first map and then the gameplay typically ran at about 10 FPS for under a minute at which point it would freeze entirely - I don't remember if I had to hard-reboot or not. I chalked it up to the Envy 14 being incapable of running CoP. However, I just decided to pull SoC back out and give it another run, and I'm not getting past a frozen loading screen. I can ctrl+alt+del out and close the process (not responding), but I can't alt+tab out.

Incidentally, both machines were running Win 7 64-bit Home Premium.

So now I'm pretty sure my CoP issues were more than just GPU power problems, but probably something happening between the engine and my software or hardware. Anyone run into any problems with any of the Stalker games on their Envy 14's? I've updated my GPU drivers (successfully) a number of times since the CoP issues, so if it's a driver thing it's been persistent over a couple years worth of drivers.

9. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    Way way way back when I remember CoP running alright on my Envy 14 in DX10 mode. I don't remember what drivers I was on or anything but it was probably pre 2011 drivers.

I also remember someone else having problems with it back then as well. Maybe it's the old "powerplay breaks everything" bug. Turn powerplay off and on while your computer is plugged in to fix that.

The bug is triggered whenever you unplug the envy 14 and/or whenever you change the gpu.

10. Fat Dragon

Fat Dragon Just this guy, you know?

Reputations:
    I'll give that a try when I get home tonight, but I haven't experienced any PowerPlay related issues in quite a while, so I'm not particularly hopeful about that as a solution. The old post you're talking about might be my own, I think you or someone else suggested at the time that we might simply not have enough power for CoP. I might check out the Steam forums as well to see if anyone's had the same problem or even try a total OS rollback - I haven't done that since the day I got the computer, so it's kind've due anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.