Envy 14 fan noise

Discussion in 'HP' started by DannyPants, Jul 19, 2010.

?

For light tasks, does your Envy 14 fan remain silent?

1. i3-370M: Yes, my fan remains silent.

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  2. i5-450M: Yes, my fan remains silent.

47 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. i5-520M: Yes, my fan remains silent.

33 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. i7-720/740/840M: Yes, my fan remains silent.

10 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. i3-370M: No, my fan cycles and makes audible noise.

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. i5-450M: No, my fan cycles and makes audible noise.

77 vote(s)
    28.8%
  7. i5-520M: No, my fan cycles and makes audible noise.

55 vote(s)
    20.6%
  8. i7-720/740/840M: No, my fan cycles and makes audible noise.

38 vote(s)
    14.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo187

neo187 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You know, this actually seems to be working for me.

I had tried tweaking one of the existing plans (the HP recommended one) and changed the settings to something similar to what you posted. The fan was still going off very loudly at very random times.

So I created a brand new plan like you said, and set the Processor Cooling Policy to Passive and the Maximum Processor State to 90%. I had also changed the Fan Always On option in the BIOS to Disabled.

It's been almost a week now and the laptop has been CONSIDERABLY more silent, with the fan increasing speed sporadically but almost never to the hair dryer level of before.... Placing those settings in a whole different plan from the existing ones seems to have done the trick somehow.

Hopefully it stays this way. Thank you for your help!

2. Backles

Backles Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I've done the Power plan method and installed the newest BIOS which is F.23. None of this really helped. The fan is just loud all the time. It's not like super loud but compared with HP g63x, Acer 2 year old computer, MBP 13, and 15, it's just louder when I am just browsing the internet. It's pretty noticeable. Great, I know HP has a better control of the temperature than MBPs but the fan noise just gets me all the time while the background is semi quiet. Even I sit next to the fridge which is pretty loud when it's working, I can still hear the fan easily. I wonder if HP is going to do something about it or someone out there can figure out a way to fix it.

I wouldn't say this is a problem if 90% of the laptop does it. But by comparing a lot of my friends' laptops, ENVY unfortunately out win pretty much every time. The comparison is made under light use condition. When playing games, every laptop is loud. I am pretty upset because this is the my first time purchasing a laptop and I put up with the noise since I THOUGHT the noise is normal until I couldn't stand it anymore then I started asking people. And the feedback I got is really depressing since ENVY should be a rival of MBP which kinda indicate that the quality should be good too. I admit ENVY is a really nice laptop. Now without radiance, okay I can live with that. But the noise just unacceptable for me.

I am going to send this laptop back for some repair service which is recommended by the online support. However, I really doubt whether it would resolve this problem since a lot of people are having this problem. I'll keep you guys posted. But I will send it back around June because I need it right now.....

3. neo187

neo187 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    did you also disable the option Fan Always On in the BIOS? That's on by default...

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you....i've had the "tweaked plan" on for about a month now and my Envy is still very quiet, even during 3D modelling sessions (haven't tried games yet)...

Before then I was in exactly your same situation, that constant fan sound was really driving me nuts, especially knowing that my previous laptop, an Acer that cost me half the price of the Envy when I bought it, after 3 years of use was still nice a quiet....

I would have probably returned my Envy too if i hadn't found a solution that worked....

Technical support is useless, at least the UK one, when you mention the issue they just ask you to send it in for a repair, though I doubt that it would come very different...

4. Backles

Backles Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for your input. I've changed the fan not to stay on always. But it's only quiet when I just turn the computer on. Afterwards, the fan is always on. I don't notice any difference before and after the tweak. I really wish there will be a permanent solution to this annoying problem.

5. sunburn74

sunburn74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I own an HP envy 14 with the 560m processor and the radeon 5650 gpu

I found that none of the settings regard fan management that people recommend work for me. The bios was a failure, the downclocking a failure, the passive cooling policy a failure.

The only thing left for me to do was to follow the footsteps of a couple of guys who posted how they disassembled their laptops, cleaned the heatsinks and put new thermal paste. However, the never really followed up with why they did it or what the results were.

Anyway I did it anyway after being frustrated at how loud my laptop was and how annoying the fan cycling was.

If you plan on disassembling your HP envy and cleaning the heatsinks here are a few tips I wish someone would have told me
    1) have the manual for your laptop in front of you. there are disassembly instructions in there. you pretty much have to totally dissassemble the laptop to get at the heatsinks
    2) youtube zif connectors and the proper way to open and close them. this laptop uses a ton of zif connectors
    3) be patient. it took me about 2 hours to get to the heatsinks. reassembly is easier. just don't forget to reconnect the trackpad like i did. and remember the power connector extension that cuts across the board in a long black cable connects under the mobo and plugs into the battery charger complex. its very misleading because the charger complex only has prongs for the lower half of that power connector extension even though the extension has upper and lower holes/inputs. this took me like 30 mins to figure out and the manual doesn't help.

When I opened the laptop, I saw that they used the method of a dollop of heatsink compound in the middle and then simply placed the heatsink on top. The heatinks are not smooth at all and are pretty scuffed up actually. There were obvious areas where the dollop of thermal grease didn't spread so well. Anyway I cleaned everything and used IC diamond. I spread it on the chips with a stiff card and then placed a dollop in the middle for additional spreadage. Everyone has their own style of how to spread compound. Thats what I did. Of note, there was very very little dust on the fans and the intakes.

My results:
    Prior to this endeavour my cpu idles at like 41 deg c according to speed fan and the fan would power cycle on and off to 5 sec durations with 2 second pause intervals. This was regardless of activity.

Now my cpu idles at 36-37 deg C and the fan is a low, steady hum. It doesn’t seem to really to ramp up at all either. I keep double checking the “always fan on” setting and sure enough I have that turned off. When I switch to always on it is noticeably louder. I will monitor and post results in the future but overall I am pretty happy.

6. sunburn74

sunburn74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fan power cycling actually appears to have totally resolved 2 days in! On cold boot the fan does not spin up and will remain off entirely. Even as I type this there is no fan noise coming from my HP envy, with neither a constant hum or the power cycling at all. I'm really not sure what is going on but I am extremely thrilled

7. rmartinezdl

rmartinezdl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone knows how can I set the fan to run at full speed always? Its just Im having some overheat issues and I want to do this! I cant find it on the bios! and no application works with this!

8. ozzmanj1

ozzmanj1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an Envy 14 1110nr 8gb ram, ATI 5650. Bought this from my brother who happens to work for HP in their Marketing product roll-out department (goes around the worls to the various electronics expos and showcases HPs stuff) Anyways he sole me this Envy and since i bought it the fan runs at full speed constant. Nothing provided above, the power plans adjustment, fan always on in bios to off, turning off turbo boost, nothing works. My temps are around 35-38C constantly. I absolutely love this laptop but I must admit this puppy is loud from the moment I turn it on. I am considering doing what sunburn74 did and take it apart and redo the thermal paste, at this point I feel I have nothing to lose. On a side note my nephew, my brothers oldest son has the exact same Envy, all specs identical except his has 4gb of ram. And his is as quite as a mouse, I dont think I have ever heard his fans kick on. And the only thing he has done was turn the fan always on to off in bios. I have even downgrade my bios to f.13 and f.23 (gone through both) just too see about changing settings for turbo boost, and what not... nothing resolves the fans. It sound to me like its the fan on the right side of the laptop as I rarely hear the fan underneath the keyboard, and i know its no the HDD as I have replaced it with a samsung hdd. Anyways sorry for the long post this is my first here as I made this account to continue this thread specifically. Does anyone know if its possible to replace thje fans? And on another side note I am completely confused why my nephews exact same Envy model 1110nr would be completely quiet while mine is loud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.