ENVY 14: Boot Time LOG

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thefisl

thefisl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I have the Envy CTO 1100. i7 with ati 5650 and 7200 RPM HDD 6 GB RAM.

I am getting some quick boot times but only when I am not connected to the network. If I have wifi off and no ethernet plugged in, Boot time ~ 30s... SWEET! That is after POST no GUI, type in pass and to desktop. Plug in ethernet and boot time takes a dive to anywhere between 50s - 1min +.. !? Stranger still, what happens is after password it takes forever with the welcome circle and then boots to a gray screen. I see my cursor but nothing else. After some time, desktop! I have run all kinds of checks, event logs and what not, can't seem to find anything. No baddies seem to be residing on here or anything so... ??? Looking at the event log, I can see that plugged vs. unplugged is pretty even up until winlogon. It takes plugged the additional time there. Don't really know what's going on. Boot logs show all the same drivers either loading or not. I can't seem to find any relevant errors that show on one that don't on the other.. ARG!

2. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    huh...

maybe there's some check in the bios for internet stuff.

3. thefisl

Reputations:
    I didn't find anything in the bios that looked like it would affect anything. I looked in the advanced BIOS (f10 + a) and I don't have the hp quickboot entry. Nothing else looks like it would help. Either way, it's after POST not during. It definitely feels like something going on with the OS. Can some of you guys maybe do some timed tests with nets and without to see if it changes anything.... Or if anyone has any idea of what might be causing this, maybe even some specific tips on the BIOS settings that I should be looking at.

4. eafd

eafd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you have network boot set as first in your boot list?

Maybe the Envy doesn't even have that option

5. thefisl

Reputations:
    Just double checked and Boot on Lan is in fact Disabled.

6. spencerp

spencerp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the same exact thing happening. Longer boot times and get screen before desktop loss. It happened right around the time I updated to sp1 and some other driver update. Check your update log and see when you updated to sp1 and if that is around the time it stated happening for you. Could be total coincidence on the sp1 but it never used to do this regardless of whether or not I had any wireless on.

7. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got about 34 sec from the HP logo to windows login screen.

Specs :

i520m
    8GB
    160 GB SSD
    Clean Install

8. thefisl

Reputations:
    I can't really remember when it started happening. I have been crazy busy so when this quirk popped up, I just ignored it and kept moving on. Then I got tired of really long boot times. My dell 1420 never took this long to boot, so finally I started poking around. Still haven't figured it out. I was trying to figure out how to go about maybe disabling my net card and then having a script run at the end of boot to enable it once the desktop has been reached. Work has come flooding back in so, I will have to make do with just remembering to unplug the net cable and have wifi off until all booted. sigh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.