Entertainment Laptop Recommendation

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Drew1, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My main laptop is a 5 year old dell xps 15 9550 that I still use now. I use it mainly for online poker, online banking, and visiting sites only if I know those are safe sites. I also youtube as well on it but basically I only do things on it where I try to limit any malware and things like that.

Few years ago, I bought an 14' asus chromebook that has 32gb space of 4gb ram for around $350. I mainly wanted a second laptop as I want to do things like streaming from sites and watching so and so on those sites... yes... so and so... means what you probably think it means. I'm not going to lie and say I don't do that and I'm sure many of the people on this forum does as well. Thus I did not want to do that anymore on my dell xps 15 9550 laptop in case I get malware or virus or keylogger and things like that. Thus if I catch any malware, well I heard you could always powerwash a chromebook and it would be clean like new. But all these years, I never had to do this. So I stream sports on sites and movies on it etc. Thus you could imagine how many tons of ads you have to click out.

I always downloaded tons of videos but the main issue is chromebook has very little space, so I need to move those movies/pictures etc to my 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive which has an enclosure on it. Thus I move files to it from my chromebook when I'm low on space.

The issue for a while is my chromebook has screen issues. I can post pictures of it but basically I didn't take care of it well at all. I literally had water on the keys and I was holding laptop screen not the way you should ever do it... I was careless and thus my screen always flashes unless I put it in a certain position. Thus imagine laptop has blurring lines throughout it. I mean its not usuable for most people due to the flashing rainbow lines on the screen.

I assume its not even worth buying a new screen right? Also a few keys do not work. Several number keys do not work.

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would not want to buy a new chromebook though. I would want a windows laptop as the reason being I want more than that 32gb of space... which is obviously much less than that when you factor in chrome OS.

So I see windows laptops that are like 32gb or 64gb or 128gb that are pretty cheap. But If I get a windows computer, minimum 64gb right since windows takes a lot of space? 128gb or 256gb would be best?

The thing is I do not want to use windows when web browsing/streaming due to the malware/viruses that I probably would get. So I assume best option is to install linux then? Then use linux when im doing my entertainment and web browsing?

As for spending, I wouldn't mind spending $500-$600 on this type of laptop. I know chromebooks they are like $250 and under now but again, I don't like the very little space on it. Also I do not want a big laptop screen size. I want either 13.3' or 14.1' size.

Does anyone have recommendation for this? Also would you say minimum processor should be i3 or i5? And 8gb ram at least?

My chromebook specs are

Intel Celeron - 4GB Memory - 32GB eMMC Flash Memory

I mean I cannot imagine spending say $1,000 on an entertainment notebook. I can but it doesn't feel right. But I certainly don't want a real cheap one where there is very little storage space. But what made me got a chromebook few years ago was I heard you couldn't get malware/virus on it so I thought it was best laptop to get since I want to stream and download files.

Anyone have advice on which laptop is best for this?

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Linux can be fussy about WiFi cards.