Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Drew1, Feb 20, 2021.

1. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So unless your ext. drive is a .EXE drive hooking it out does nothing until you run or .exe program from it. I have anything ext. to not run by default in Windows 10 that way I can explorer and look at it at the same time and not get infected. Infection only work when you run a .exe program or it was already so infected you would get infected just exploring the drive. If you setup correctly anything hooking up your A/V will scan first and if not then your just asking for trouble.

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

You mean install a VM or Linux on it? The thing is this. I do have a ton of videos and pictures and also tons of chrome bookmarks on my current chromebook. So you suggest copy and pasting everything to it hard drive that is in my enclosure... then install WM or linux? The thing is right now i got like 1gb of space or less on my chromebook.

How much gb would i need to install the VM or linux? I do not want to powerwash my chromebook now because i still have tons of videos/pictures and bookmarks and would like to transfer everything first. I mean with the videos/pictures, i could just copy/paste them. But how would i do this with my bookmarks? I literally bookmarked hundreds of chrome pages where tons of these pages have like 10 or 20 + tabs on each of these bookmarked pages. So once i transfer everything to it... then powerwash my chromebook and then install VM? Or don't bother doing that as deleting all my files/pictures should be enough space for it?

3. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Drew1 I would install a fresh OS on a rig so you can examine your drive with impunity, not worrying about keyloggers or malware.