eMachines Hinge Cracked?

Discussion in 'eMachines' started by blue_heart, Jul 5, 2004.

1. wootage

wootage Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I actually manually fixed it. If you disassemble the hinge area, you'll see that the hinge is attached to the screen with a plastic mount, and that's what's probably cracked. The hinge itself is an el cheapo lead mount with a friction pin that provides the resistance to keep the laptop lid in place. I ground off the friction pin's flange that slots into the mount and drilled out the hinge mount so that the pin gave no resistance to the laptop lid's movement, then glued the fractured plastic mount as best I could and screwed it back together.

Since there's no resistance from that side, the glue job will hold, but the lid is definitely lighter to open and close now since the other mount is doing all of the work. But it works well enough.

2. MasterFunk

MasterFunk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a huge crack.

I don't think it's a hinge problem, but it's very close. It's on the bottom right of the back side of the screen.

I can accually see some wires and the back of the lcd behind it..

3. kaidomac

kaidomac Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My 14" eMachines eMD620's hinge is starting to creak like mad, I'm afraid it's going to crack soon :( I really don't want to have to pop it open and do surgery, oye!