eMachines Hinge Cracked?

Discussion in 'eMachines' started by blue_heart, Jul 5, 2004.

1. transdell

transdell Newbie

Reputations:
    Yup, Gateway hinges sure are a huge pain, and I keep hoping for a full-on recall of mine. Other than that, my two-year-old 4530GZ has worked flawlessly, although I chose to reformat and gut/trim the software as soon as I got it -- dropping XP Home, replacing w/ XP pro, only reloading the programs I wanted/needed. But that stinkin' hinge thing is killing me.

About 6 months ago, the right-side hinge snapped where it attaches to the LCD bracket arm, and the cracked shards tweaked and then snapped off some of the silver plastic cover as they strained to move. By the time I took off the frame cover to find the defective part, much of the cosmetic damage was done. Once i'd replaced it with an eBay junked part, I noticed the old one had completely seized up ... the hinge would hardly move at all without Samson-like strength applied to pairs of pliers holding each side. I was steamed, but glad to have it fixed.

Until now.

A few days ago -- naturally -- the LEFT side hinge snapped off ... with the identical seizing problem with the other hinge. Clearly a defective part -- Gateway's hinges and/or eMachine's hinges are just plain faulty. I ordered yet another junked replacement hinge but I don't know how long that one is going to last. (I don't relish the idea of disassembling, greasing, and reassembling on a monthly basis, like one might with a 1930s Ford.)

Wish I had read this forum/thread before I ordered ... I may call Gateway to see what they say, but it's probably easier (i.e. lazier :rolleyes: ) just to cross my fingers, install the new hinge, and hope to get away without a third go-round of hinge hell.

2. DianeI

DianeI Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an E Machines M6805 Laptop. I purchased in January 2004 at Best Buy.
    At the time, I spent approximately $1500.00. I am happy with the Machine
    when I have had it. Unfortunately, it had been taken for repair numerous times during the extended warranty period being out of a computer for weeks at a time. I have had the hinges crack numerous times as well as the Tip of the case
    that affects the LCD screen. The case has cracked again, and if it is not fixed
    it will likely go thru the usual episode of the screen losing intensity and then
    flickering. I called Gateway today and had to call several people before I reached Thomas in Retail Service Dispatch who indicated he would send me a
    label and they will take care of it. I will be waiting to see if they will resolve
    after mailing again. I am wondering what to do if this keeps going on ?

3. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    . not much u can do if they still fix it
    . personally, lots of users just loosen the area around the hinges. It seemed to fix the problem

cheers ...

4. rix313

rix313 Newbie

Reputations:
    Loved my M5118 until the screen went, hinges cracked and the screen kept turning on and off :(

5. Learux

Learux Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My m6811 is now 3 years 4 month old still going strong. After I bought it I developed cracked hinges within weeks. I did send it out>3 years ago. Up to today no problems with it. If emachines still made laptops I would consider one.

Learux

6. alysher

alysher Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow!! talk about interesting

i have a m6810, and i bought it used. i believe the original owner had sent it in to fix the monitor, but i dont know if it was specificly the hinges, but judging from the sn # (N3047) it may have been...

i've had the system for about 6 months now, and the only thing that has ever bothered me about it was that the screen was a little loose(the 3/4'' wobble). its nice to know that if i do develop the cracks i may be able to get it fixed quickly

as for emachines support....well i have to agree that they are a pain in the ass most of the time and if your system is out of warrenty its worse.

now does any body know if they are still replacing hinges:confused:

PROUD OWNER OF A EMACHINES M6810

7. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    they should still be, drop them a note/mail. Not sure if u must have a certain piece of paper to show them that u r the owner and not a repair centre

cheers ...

8. kanela

kanela Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have a M5405 that also purchased at Best Buy in 2004. just recently my right hinge busted and it is falling apart. Could you please share the phone numbers you have with Gateway? I will try to get help or at least the replacement parts, I can not find them anywhere.
    My laptop is still working fine and never had any problem with it.

9. kanela

kanela Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Would anyone that had good results getting your laptop fixed with Emachines/Gateway/Acer or shared the info of how you got it fixed ? Phone numbers? emails? names?

I have a M5405 with a right hinge cracked and can not find parts to fix it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

10. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations: