eMachines Hinge Cracked?

Discussion in 'eMachines' started by blue_heart, Jul 5, 2004.

1. lnjmiller

lnjmiller Newbie

Reputations:
    My emachines m6805 is cracking straight across.I notice Emachine warrenty says they donot cover cracked hinges

2. Mike in Canada

Mike in Canada Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought mine from Future Shop last February and noticed cracks maybe a couple months later. I didn't think it would be too much of a problem, but as the year went on I noticed the screen tension loosening. Little metal pieces inside the now exposed hinges have also broken and fallen out of the hinge area. AND GUESS WHAT?? Tonight the screen completely lost tension. I am using it right now with something propped up behind it so it stays up!!!
    I sent a message to emachines from the Customer Support webpage tonight. Does anyone know if they are also fixing these problems from purchases made in Canada? I can't see how they could justify not doing that.
    M6811

3. Mike in Canada

Mike in Canada Newbie

Reputations:
    I also want to add that I also have flickering problems with the screen. This seems to be related with the loosening of the screen. Maybe the wiring is somehow affected. I have to sometimes moving the screen back and forth to get it to be in the right spot. This is really annoying now that the screen does not even stay up on its own.

4. Mike in Canada

Mike in Canada Newbie

Reputations:
    Good news. Just called them today and almost right away they said they were going to put it back into warranty to have it sent in and fixed. A box should be arriving in two days and they said it will take about 5-7 days to have it fixed and sent back to me. The only thing was, since it was bought more than 3 months past the manufactured date, they didn't have it in the system, so I have to fax the receipt. Luckily, after a little searching, I found it. They also said the flickering screen might be related because some wires go through there. There was also no need to worry about the hard drive, according to them.

5. denmick

denmick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a m2105 and the hinges have been replaced twice by emachines. and the screen flickers and the inverter board was replaced. The notebook is 18 months old. To emachines credit they replaced at no charge and paid for shipping both ways

6. yknott

yknott Newbie

Reputations:
    at first there were just the unsightly cracks in the hinges. i minimized the times i was moving the screen back and forth. despite those efforts the cracks became bigger than they are shown in the pictures.

it seemed to me that then there became a 'sweet spot' which was where i needed to have the lid so that the screen would stay; there were certain positions in which the lid would just not stay so i had to move it more toward or away from me than i really wanted it, hoping it would stay somewhere in between

i was actually worried that it would become bad enough that i would to balance the lid against a wall.

i bought the laptop from refurbdepot.com
    i bought a 3 y warranty through mackcam.com too

mackcam would not cover the hinges issue, but emachines would. not the first time i called about the issue, i spoke with someone who was listening to me complain about the state of the machine. when i mentioned that i had read that there was a batch of bad ones, ones with this problem, or that i had read that online, the customer service rep asked for my serial number which i gave to him. after doing that he said my machine would be covered by emachines and he gave it a 1 year warranty. i then sent the machine to mackcam who then sent it off to emachines.

that was in may, june, july, AND august of 2005

then when i did have the machine back the hinges were just fine...no cracks...and the lid stayed where i moved it

then in late 2005 i had another falling out with the machine
    see pictures:
    http://www.uwplatt.edu/~krugerk/photos/2005-12-13_laptop_lcd/img_1791.jpg
    http://www.uwplatt.edu/~krugerk/photos/2005-12-13_laptop_lcd/img_1792.jpg
    http://www.uwplatt.edu/~krugerk/photos/2005-12-13_laptop_lcd/img_1793.jpg
    http://www.uwplatt.edu/~krugerk/photos/2005-12-13_laptop_lcd/img_1794.jpg
    http://www.uwplatt.edu/~krugerk/photos/2005-12-13_laptop_lcd/img_1795.jpg
    http://www.uwplatt.edu/~krugerk/photos/2005-12-13_laptop_lcd/img_1796.jpg

mackcam covered the repairs this time, something emachines told me would cost upwards of $240 to replace the motherboard

well i am glad i bought the 3 y warranty to go along with this refurbished emachines computer but i am not sure it was worth the loss in time with the computer. perhaps had i spent that money toward the warranty on the computer in buying a different 'brand' or not buing refurbished from refurbdepot, i could have avoided all of this hassle

... purchased in late august 2004
    received it late september 2004
    sent it in for repairs to the hinges in may 2005
    received it late august 2005
    started seeing video errors in mid december 2005
    (both lcd and vga were looking like the pictures show)
    sent it in for repairs in early january 2006
    received it back in early march 2006

7. kefta4ever

kefta4ever Newbie

Reputations:
    My w4620 has no cracks. I use it 10 to 12 hours a day and and Ive hac no problems.

8. BlueEdge

BlueEdge Newbie

Reputations:
    My 7510 has a crack on the hinge, bought it in about August 2005, thinking of seeing if I can get it fixed. Anyone know if Gateway does this kind of repair? Can I just send them and email or do I have to call them?

Thanks =D

9. BlueEdge

BlueEdge Newbie

Reputations:
    For those who are interested here is the reply email I got from Gateway:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail. Regarding the cracked hinges on the system
    please be advised that in order to resolve the issue your computer needs
    to come in for warranty service to be repaired.
    <Info>
    In addition, Gateway can send you packaging to use to ship your system
    to our Service facility. The packaging will cover the box, the
    packaging, insurance, and the shipping and handling fee. This is the
    best way to insure that your system will arrive safely at the Service
    Department. Once ordered, your box should arrive within 1 to 2 business
    days.

For further assistance, please verify the following information below so
    that I can document the issue properly.

Purchase Month:
    Purchase Day:
    Purchase Year:

These are very important information; it will allow me to register the
    system as well as to process this order.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with this
    issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to
    ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my
    colleagues.

Sincerely,

Philip
    Badge EME0040

10. dreamersland

dreamersland Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an M6809 and have had it for a couple of years now. I had the hinges or LCD panel replaced once, now it is out of warrenty and they are cracked again. Lovely isn't it? I love my laptop, it is a great one except now the crack is also making the screen flicker and driving me nuts. ARE THEY EVER GOING TO RECALL THIS???