emachine eMD620-5777 upgrades so far!

Discussion in 'eMachines' started by ifarted2, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardoso

cardoso Newbie

Reputations:
    If I update the bios to the version 1.13 do you believe that there might put an AMD Athlon II X3 405e?

Are you 100% sure?

Regards.

2. momosgarage

momosgarage Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. cardoso

cardoso Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally I bought one 4050e. If finally it is confirmed that I can put an AM3 I will buy another hahaha.

Regards.

4. occupant

occupant Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Keep us posted. One of these would really fly IF it is compatible with the chipset and the lappy itself. I'd spend the money for it if it's a confirmed working setup.

5. occupant

occupant Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any updates on the backwards compatibility thing?

There's a ton of Athlon II X2 235e's on eBay at the moment (probably from people upgrading EL1331G desktops) and they seem to be staying under $50 thus far. I'm considering picking one up to try it out. I have the desktop and the laptop so I can try it in either (probably the desktop first since I can get a replacement from CedarPC for about $80 if I kill it)

Wish me luck, I'm going to try bidding on two of them...

6. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Athlon II 235e, 240e, 400e, 405e, 600e, and 605e won't work. I tried the 235e and the laptop refused to switch on.

I did some research and it seems that a bios hack/patch would enable this laptop to support Athlon II CPU. The hack consists on updating the AGESA module. I'm not techy enough to do it, and since I couldn't get the 235e to work I sold this laptop :(

The eMD620 with an Athlon II X4 600e or 605e would be a killer laptop......

7. kaidomac

kaidomac Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New Synaptics Multi-touch drivers out: (XP, Vista, 7) - UNINSTALL YOUR CURRENT SYNAPTICS DRIVER & REBOOT FIRST!!

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=44505922#post44505922

Special functions:
    1. 2-finger scrolling (Mac-style) - horizontal & vertical
    2. 3-finger tap-to-open (put 3 fingers on the touchpad, wait a moment, it launches the application of your choice, like Firefox)
    3. 3-finger flick (flick 3 fingers left/right for browser forward/back, or up/down to launch a photo/presentation slideshow)

A++++++++++++++++++ :D Makes this laptop feel like a whole new beast! A few other extra goodies:

1. Momentum: Makes the trackpad act like a trackball - the cursor "glides"
    2. EdgeMotion: Mouse keeps moving once you hit the edge of the trackpad, if you hold your finger at the edge (no diagonal tho - only horizontal & vertical)
    3. Physical buttons: Reprogram for a variety of tasks or a custom macro (useful with tap-to-click on the trackpad)

8. Nitromethane

Nitromethane Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I am new to this forum and I have to report that I am another success story.I have just exchanged the D620 1250 cpu for an Athlon 5600x2. It seems to be hovering at 48-57/58 deg while running media player,utorrent,D-Tools,and chatting online...Not only that but I also successfully baked two 8800GTS vid cards in my oven over the weekend...one for a revival attempt...which was more then successful yielding a seemingly stronger vid card with no artifacts...the other ...well :),just because!! It not only aleviated the major artifacting i was seeing in the card but by re-flowing the solder it seems to enhanced exsisting connections releasing more outright power and smoothness.Look up Vid card baking and follow the intructions...card stripped and propped...in preheated oven at 378F for no longer then 10 minutes!! I would almost recommend it even for 'good cards.If done properly I feel it can rid the cards of shotty solder joints due to mass production.It is after all how the components are attached to the pcb in the factory.

9. smiley_lauf

smiley_lauf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi there, I posted on this thread about my CPU upgrade and there has not been a reply after 73 views and counting. Can someone please guide me if the CPU is corect for my eMachines D620 laptop?

10. kaidomac

kaidomac Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Finally got around to doing my upgrades:

+ Windows 7 Ultimate
    + AMD 5050e 2.6ghz dual-core CPU
    + 30GB OCZ SSD

Nice speed boost! I setup Win7 to look like Win2000 (gray theme w/o Aero) and it speeds along nicely. I'm not a huge fan of the giant graphics on a small 14" screen (was running XP before quite nicely). The CPU makes it feel like a real laptop now, but the fan is always on. Luckily it's not a whiny fan, more of a purr, so I don't mind it so much. My battery has also taken a hit - less than an hour now I think - but the extra power boost is worth it.

The SSD is nice, but with Office 2007 and Adobe CS5, I only have like 6 gigs free. I'm looking at the new Seagate Momentus XT, a 500gb 7200rpm 2.5" drive with a 4gb Flash boost - a hybrid SSD/HDD. Currently $129 on Newegg:

Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

That way I'd get space + speed. It looks like the XT cruises along at 150 MB/s, which is about as fast as a Raptor. My SSD is 224 MB/s, but I also have no space, which is annoying. The nice thing about the Seagate is that the seek time is like 0.3ms, which is nearly as fast as a 0.1ms SSD (vs like 11ms on a standard HDD).

I only have 3 gigs of RAM right now and I'm thinking about upgrading it to 4 gigs now that I'm on Windows 7. The integrated video chews up some of the system memory, so I don't get the full amount anyway. Seems to eat a bit more RAM than XP did. I'm also looking around for a spare one - I really like the curved keyboard on my 620, so I should probably invest in one for the future, haha. eBay has some nice deals...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.