Eluktronics MAX series Laptops

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by B0B, Jan 23, 2020.

1. McSalt

McSalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how's the maingear variant of the max 15? The 3070, ryzen model sold at microcenter specifically. does it run too hot or anything of the sort?

2. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is fantastic. The CPU does run hot when gaming but you have full control of everything with the Maingear Node utility. You can cap CPU wattage if you wish. You can run GPU TGP at the full 140w down to 115w. You can also enable dynamic boost which adjusts GPU power as needed up to 140w. You can limit GPU temp limit as well. Really, really handy utility. Typically my CPU ran in upper 80s and GPU upper 70s when gaming. It depends on the game though of course.

Some AMD quirks though. Laptop may have sleep issues (it won't sleep no matter what you do). AMD supposedly issued a driver update that fixed it but it still occurred on mine. The AMD Radeon software can interfere with nVidia features like Vulkan support. I needed to completely wipe AMD and NV drivers using DDU and reinstalled them again to get Vulkan back. Weird little bug.

Overall, fantastic choice.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It can be a decent laptop if you get a good one, but that's a big "if" as quality control isn't particularly good. This is more Tongfang's fault than Maingear as I've had problems with their laptops as well as Eluktronics.

4. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Here is a comparison of Timespy, for what it's worth, between my old AMD 5800H/3070 and current Intel 11800H/3070 Vector Pros. I swapped the stock RAM in both to dual rank Kingston Fury RAM. Intel runs cooler because you can undervolt and performs roughly 10% better in CPU performance for me. Both tests were run in Hybrid / Optimus mode and not dGPU mode, pretty great performance in both. The Intel version does support adaptive sync, same as FreeSync but using the Intel graphics command center.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/23981304/spy/22486672#

5. cgilley

cgilley Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I like that Prometheus XVI, but I am very leery of lack of driver support. My HP650-HS is pushing 5 years, and it was pure driver hell and BSODs until I found Obsidian's Updater application. Now they're discontinuing support (just not enough business).

In an email exchange with Eluktronics, when I asked if the Prometheus was rebranded and who was the maker, they said, "No, we build this in our own factories."

Now I read about TongFang...

6. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

They have a different definition of "build in our factories" than what most people assume, they customize them per customer order and install proprietary software, OS etc but the chassis, mobo etc are all just purchased from tongfang in bulk. You can get the details usually from notebookcheck.

cgilley and saturnotaku like this.
  7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Technically the Prometheus XVI (and only it) ODM is Quanta, not Tongfang.

Honestly having seen the Maingear Vector Pro in Micro Center, then purchasing a MAX 17, its magnesium alloy chassis is so much better than the plastic options. My only wish is that they made a variant of the MAX 17 with a thicker chassis (but still mag alloy) and heatsink, so running at the same noise level could allow for higher wattages.

As far as drivers go I have wondered how much of the NUC Laptop kit drivers might work with MAX 15/17, given they are both a Tongfang chassis. The bios is definitely different, or at least has a graphical shell to it.

cgilley likes this.
  8. McSalt

McSalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How's the battery life on the 5800h vs 11800h models? I know the AMD is better, but I'd like more concrete figures mostly. Also, can you undervolt on the intel models? Thanks~

9. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Too early to tell re: the Intel model. I would routinely get 6-7+ hours on the 5800H model when doing basic office and internet work. I expect to get maybe 1-2 hours less with Intel? Yes you can undervolt the Intel model which may help. I have a -.070v CPU undervolt for daily use and for gaming. You can also enable XMP on the Intel model. I haven't gotten the RAM I'd like to try yet, the Crucial 3200 CL16 1.35 set, not sure how big of a difference it'll make.

10. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you want get a good battery life on the 11800h copy these settings:
    View attachment 197438
    You can also trigger a command in "options" when a profile changes. I have a script that i use here that changes my refresh rate to 40hz when on battery and back to 165hz on ac power:
    namar0x0309/PWRMgmt (github.com)

Lasts me about 5-6 hours which is really good.

I got the cyberpower pc deal (eluktonics max 17). It's my new favorite laptop.

If you need more speed, just move the "Clock Mod" higher.

Windows 11 has dynamic refresh rate on this model.
    I don't think qres enumerates this new option. I want to develop a less manually involved tool but can't find the time
    View attachment 197439

jlp0209 likes this.