EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    still trying to confirm if the K5100M with the Dell (MSI) Vbios will work without any alteration on the 8740 W.

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Here's a list I found a long time ago, K5100m is there, probably the DELL one, or at least with a DELL vBIOS.

Attached Files:

3. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    looks good, but I wish he was an English! (Just so I can understand everything)

I'm just trying to ascertain whether I should look for a K5100M with a Dell Vbios, and whether the HP Vbios, ironically, does not work.

No one has trod this path yet?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  4. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Given all of the advantages of the KX100 series of cards, I'm surprised there has been no activity in terms of upgrade on this forum.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. cafeogu

cafeogu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can use k1000m and k1100m, but you need a processor with a video core.

6. nl_dave

nl_dave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Pretty happy to report that a HP M2000M works out of the box! No black screen, didnt need to fiddle around with VBIOS versions (82.07.9C.00.01), the card fitted moderately well in the MXM slot. The cooling block is not properly shaped for this (little) card but I stress tested it with GTA V and it doesnt get that hot and the heat drops pretty quickly when the load drops to zero so I am pretty sure it has decent contact with the GPU core. Its definitely an improvement compared to the FirePro M7820.

I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste for the CPU/GPU cores and Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 8 W/M for the GPU memory chips. Which is 2mm thick, this is actually a little too thick, I recommend to use 0.5mm instead. Because this is an I5 model, I replaced the CPU single heat pipe radiator for the double heat pipe version.

I am satisfied with results. Could probably do it a little bit better if I had to do the whole operation again (esp. with thinner pads) but as its quite a big operation which costs a lot of time I am not going to do it again if its not really necessary. I noticed in the benchmark thread that this laptop model by default is a little bit hotter compared to the later generations (8760W, 8770W which I also own). Apparently the first Intel generations are a bit more of a hothead and more difficult to cool down.

Needed to modify the driver ini file ofcourse but after that it was having the correct resolution (1680x1050 screen)

As its not my own laptop I cannot perform a lot of benchmarks and share many real world experience but by the looks of it, it performs an awful lot better then it used to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

triturbo and Narwa like this.
  7. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    thanks for the reply

I have the Q 840. Does that have a video core?

are you saying that the higher versions of the KXIXXM (K5100M) won't work?

8. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    What about higher iterations of the M-series, e.g. M4000M, M5000M?

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Slight threadjack, so you were able to get the W7170M to work over LVDS only (no optimus/enduro)? Asking for M17x experimentation.

10. nl_dave

nl_dave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    might be possible but because this laptop has a cooling problem I didnt want to go higher up in TDP/Watt usage. A M2000M has a TDP of 55 Watt, the M3000M is rated at 75 Watt which is considerably higher. I have a M3000M in my own Zbook 17 G3 now, it stays pretty cool but.. Thats mainly because HP finally decided in this generation of laptops to split the cooling and use two fans / cooling blocks instead of stacking the radiators and use one fan. It's bad design if you would ask me.

So yes, it's probably possible but due to some possible cooling problems I didnt want to go that far. Oh and before I forget, M3000M is a different price class also. The M2000M costed me 70E+20E shipping. The M3000M/M4000M/M5000M are harder to find and most of the time considerably higher priced or.. I can say.. Overpriced.