EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have successfully upgraded to a GTX 965m in my 8740w. I had the tearing issues I've seen described elsewhere but I fixed them by adding "
    nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } " (I'm using Linux) to the Xorg,conf file in the etc\x11 directory.
    https://www.cmscritic.com/how-to-fix-nvidia-screen-tearing-in-xfce-mate-kde-lxde-and-others/ has the full instructions ........
    If this can be adapted for windows I see no reason it wouldn't do the same there .....

2. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I went ahead and upgraded the machine to win 10 and discovered the 8470W doesn't have tearing issues with the GTX 965M. The only explanation I can offer as to why is the lower power requirement of the 965m as compared to the GTX 980m ............................

3. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm trying to upgrade my 8740w to a full time hackintosh since I have my precision M6800 for everything else. I'm seeing these cards on ebay and strongly considering one for the project. I am assuming as an ati product this would support metal which my current gtx 965m does not .....does anyone know anything about this?

4. Prived1960

Prived1960 Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw your message and decided to repeat the "success story". Alas, it did not work ... I wanted to clarify a couple of points:
    The BIOS version you have indicated is googled as intended for the K3000m model, newer versions are available for the K3100m. Have you taken BIOS downgrade manipulations before installation? Did you update later?
    What is the BIOS version of the laptop itself? Can you share the versions on which everything worked?
    Did you have to clean Intel ME?
    Any advice would be accepted.
    I have a model with an ATI 7820 adapter, can this cause problems? I bought a new cooler and backplane, because of this the process dragged on. There is a great desire to overcome the problem.
    Text through a google translator ...

5. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here's some fun stuff from my MacOS on 8740w project....... the first shot is my subtle modification to differentiate the machine from my other 8740w .........
    apple case.jpg

The second one is the very rare backlit keyboard as I got it .....
    keyboard before.jpg

And after the repair I'm certain you can't tell from factory new (Hey it will do until I finally find a backlit T)
    keyboard repair.jpg

And finally the desktop .....
    Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 11.25.20 AM.png

apple case.jpg keyboard before.jpg keyboard repair.jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 11.25.20 AM.png

triturbo likes this.