EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have successfully upgraded to a GTX 965m in my 8740w. I had the tearing issues I've seen described elsewhere but I fixed them by adding "
    nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } " (I'm using Linux) to the Xorg,conf file in the etc\x11 directory.
    https://www.cmscritic.com/how-to-fix-nvidia-screen-tearing-in-xfce-mate-kde-lxde-and-others/ has the full instructions ........
    If this can be adapted for windows I see no reason it wouldn't do the same there .....

2. bobmook

Reputations:
    I went ahead and upgraded the machine to win 10 and discovered the 8470W doesn't have tearing issues with the GTX 965M. The only explanation I can offer as to why is the lower power requirement of the 965m as compared to the GTX 980m ............................

3. bobmook

Reputations:
    I'm trying to upgrade my 8740w to a full time hackintosh since I have my precision M6800 for everything else. I'm seeing these cards on ebay and strongly considering one for the project. I am assuming as an ati product this would support metal which my current gtx 965m does not .....does anyone know anything about this?

4. Prived1960

Prived1960 Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw your message and decided to repeat the "success story". Alas, it did not work ... I wanted to clarify a couple of points:
    The BIOS version you have indicated is googled as intended for the K3000m model, newer versions are available for the K3100m. Have you taken BIOS downgrade manipulations before installation? Did you update later?
    What is the BIOS version of the laptop itself? Can you share the versions on which everything worked?
    Did you have to clean Intel ME?
    Any advice would be accepted.
    I have a model with an ATI 7820 adapter, can this cause problems? I bought a new cooler and backplane, because of this the process dragged on. There is a great desire to overcome the problem.
    Text through a google translator ...

5. bobmook

Reputations:
    Here's some fun stuff from my MacOS on 8740w project....... the first shot is my subtle modification to differentiate the machine from my other 8740w .........
    apple case.jpg

The second one is the very rare backlit keyboard as I got it .....
    keyboard before.jpg

And after the repair I'm certain you can't tell from factory new (Hey it will do until I finally find a backlit T)
    keyboard repair.jpg

And finally the desktop .....
    Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 11.25.20 AM.png

apple case.jpg keyboard before.jpg keyboard repair.jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 11.25.20 AM.png

RMSMajestic and triturbo like this.
  6. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Will the K5100M unfailingly run on an 8740W?

7. bobmook

Reputations:
    I'd like to know that one myself, if it will that would be my card of choice for my 8740w hackintosh

[Edit] according to this thread they are fine......

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  8. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you point me to that confirmation? The list at the beginning of the thread seems to suggest all k1xxxms are iffy.

9. bobmook

Reputations:
    It was TriTurbo (A member who's opinion I respect) about 2/3 of the way down .....

triturbo likes this.
  10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Some progress on the twin fan setup. I started with the pipes but messed a few of them and while waiting for the new ones, got the electrical and blowing part done. Here's the album. You can see there are a few revisions, all come with benefits and drawbacks.

All versions:

+ Automatic temperature control (using the CPU temp)
    + Secondary fan manual On/Off (for heavy/light tasks)
    + Main PWM manual On/Off (for one switch on-board control/full blast)
    + Controller manual On/Off (energy saving?)

ZBook 17 fans version:

+ Easier to make
    + Simpler control
    0 Controller PWM manual On/Off
    - Won't work fully with the other set of fans
    - No manual 2nd fan PWM off (full-speed secondary fan)

8770w fans version:

+ Easier to make
    + Simpler control
    + Secondary fan PWM manual On/Off (secondary fan full blast / secondary fan off requires its PWM off as well)
    - Won't work fully with the other set of fans

ZBook 17 and 8770w fans version:

+ Full control with either set of fans
    - Harder to make

Optional:

You can add Normally Open (NO) temperature sensor (if you are airhead like me), so the second fan would engage no matter what at a given temperature, say 70ºC. The unoccupied 2 pin connector that points towards the battery bump is for this.

If someone's wondering "Why bother?" - most GPU upgrades require manual fan control. While I was at the adding of the external automatic controller I decided to make it so I can do whatever I want - automatic via the controller or manual via HWInfo and the switches.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    M18x-oldie and rahasyavadi like this.