EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Curious how they did get the HD 8970m to work properly on 8740w though......

3. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    I've read somewhere that it's just like the GTX m980, extra power cable needed for the connection

4. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    If you wanna spoil yourself, I can confirm that the trackpoint from thinkpad T460 works on 8740w, I can check the FRU # and let you know later

BTW have you succeeded in getting the internal display working with pascal cards?

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Is it anywhere to be found though? Power cable is easy.

Hit me :) I was wondering if I should get the separate keyboard with point stick and touchpad to get the whole ThinkPad experience everyone is raving about. Too bad it's wired, but I'll live with it if it's that good. One could always use wireless stuff in-between, so :D

Not yet. It's a bit stubborn, but so am I :D

6. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    Maybe the Marvelous taobao? Alternatively you can source a GM204-400 chip and find some guy to solder it on the 980m board

Part number is 0A33908, I got mine from lenovo website for about $15 inc. shipping
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...t-caps/CAP-Thinkpad-TrackPoint-Caps/p/0A33908

It's just like dreamcolor or SSD experience, once you are spoiled you can't go back :p

triturbo likes this.
  7. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have upgraded to a GTX 860m on another 8740w I traded for with the 820 quad it works great....memory ony seems to be working in half the memory slots though .....is there a trick or do I have a failing mobo?

Edit.....The memory started working correctly after a thorough cleaning. I am stunned by a machine of this ages capability after simply adding a video card and an ssd.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    bassman5066 and triturbo like this.
  8. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an 8730w that has what I am convinced is a dreamcolor screen. It looks spectacular and has two connectors in the back of the screen..... I can't figure out how to get the thing out....it seems to be bradded to the hinges and they seem to be connected in such a way they aren't intended to be removed ,,,,,and second once I get the thing out how would I go about connecting it to my 8740w?

9. nlobp

nlobp Newbie

Reputations:
    do I need to do something to pass through whitelist? or just buy & install AzureWave AW-CB160?

10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    You need the cable as well, but I think that 8740w has 6bit LVDS, so the 8730w's DC won't work (8bit). Have to check it again and just to clear possible confusion - 8740w's DC is DP, stock displays are LVDS, but they are all 6bit.

Have to remove whitelist, which is not possible at the moment.