EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    A Chinese user has tested quite a few GPUs and M4000m was among them, so I guess no vBIOS is required, but you might need to modify the drivers, or get modified ones.

It will need some grinding.

Yes.

2. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use cad applications like catia, solidworks and rhino and also rendering programs like keyshot.
    How much will the i7-820qm be a bottleneck?
    I also game a little.
    Would i just be better of throwing it away and buying the a current coffer lake machines with 6 cores?
    The factory fx3800 is actually usable when working with simple assembles but when it comes to rendering, its unbearable slow.
    And i have yet to receive the other issues like the random crashes I've been having for the last year thiugh2 its happening less frequent.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. triturbo

Reputations:
    If you have the money and don't mind 16:9 then I see no problem. Actually the new ZBook 17 G5 looks VERY promising, so much that I'm finally thinking about a new machine, just don't have the money.

4. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Nooooooo! Another 16:10 stalwart considering 16:9! There are probably only about a dozen of us left across the world. We can't afford to have any more defections to the shiny new 16:9 laptop camp!

All silliness aside, my 8740w is back in service as a desktop replacement, since my desktop is temporarily out of commission due to a failed power supply. It's an interesting mix of fitting in so smoothly I can't notice, and other times when the difference can be stark. Perhaps surprisingly, gaming is where I've noticed it the least - I have a large library of mid-2000's games, and the FirePro handles them with aplomb. I once found myself wondering why my saves weren't available on the Load Scenario screen, before realizing I wasn't on my desktop.

For web browsing, and development tasks, both largely CPU-bound, it's very similar to the 2007 Dell + Core 2 Extreme I usually use on the road - enough slower on websites and compiling versus the Sandy Bridge quad to notice (depending on the site), but not enough to be agonizing. However, I am once more tempted to put an SSD in this HP - not only do programs take longer to start (which after a couple days I re-adjusted to), but when I hit the RAM ceiling and items are swapped to disk, the slowdown is much greater than either on my desktop, or even the Dell, which is limited to SATA 1, but has an SSD.

It also has me considering the DTR lifestyle. I love that I can replace just the component that broke in my desktop - not always so easy in laptops, especially newer ones - but the 8740w's screen is big enough to be somewhat practical as a second monitor, more so than the 15.6" 16:9 I have at work. And the mobility is still a lot greater than for my desktop, which I never take with me anywhere.

And looking at the new ZBook 17, I have to admit it does look like they're doing a lot of things right. Upgradeability appears to be a focus, a very nice port selection, thinking about acoustics with cooling, and a zillion drive bays. Add 120 pixels in height to the screen, and it'd pretty much combine everything I like about this machine, with newer parts and fixing a couple of the flaws (one drive bay unless you take out the ODD; the pretty-but-not-durable rubber touchpad buttons).

triturbo likes this.
  5. triturbo

Reputations:
    :D

It's not like I'll sell it or anything, or that I can buy the G5, or that we'll ever get another 16:10 laptop... So I'll remain 16:10 for quite a while. BTW my "new" monitor is also 16:10 (ZR30w), but if I had the money I can see myself using an LG 38WK95C (24:10) :)

6. NecroFlex

NecroFlex Newbie

Reputations:
    Heya, new here to the forum.

I love tech and am kinda a hoarder of it. Found a nice deal on a few laptops straight from the junkyard with their PSUs added aswell (all 5 laptops were 40€ counting fuel aswell), one of those laptops was the Elitebook 8740W, instantly loved it cause of the sheer size of it. Thought it was a goner, dead GPU possibly since it was thrown out with everything but the HDD in it. Cleaned it up and booted it, installed windows and drivers and it works like a charm, loving it.

The keyboard is nice, the touchbar is cool and the display is just gorgeous. It has an i5-540M and a Quadro FX 2800M and i tried to see if i could upgrade the card since it's in a normal MXM3 slot, threw in a Quadro 3000M and no boot, maybe a dead GPU since it was in an unknown condition.

Anyway, i googled around and saw this post and i love it. I see that you guys tested a GTX 765M and it didn't work and a GTX 780M and it worked, what about the 770M? I think it's a Dell 770M, tho will have to ask my buddy, haven't tested it yet.

Any advice, is the stock 230W PSU enough to handle that? Will i need to grind the stock cooler a bit to make it fit if it works?

Also would the i7-720QM work in it since you guys said that the 900 i7 series works?

Thanks in advance.

7. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now that I've been using this 8760w it's amazing how much different 16:9 feels from being used to 16:10. Didn't even think I would notice but I did. Have to take 0.5 Ghz more clock speed tho so it's worth it haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forum. The i7-720QM should work just fine, but note that since it came with a dual core, you probably have a dual core motherboard, which means you only get 2 memory slots instead of 4.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

9. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And will likely also need to upgrade to a quad core heatsink. They are readily available on eBay for $20 ish

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. NecroFlex

NecroFlex Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah only 2 memory slots, it's fine tho. And yeah i read that i'd be better off getting the quad core heatsink.

I mean, theoretically, could i just solder on 2 more memory banks? :p