EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1060m was my ideal choice because performance wise it was comprable and I'd like this to be useful in a newer laptop in the future however a 1060m in the form factor we need is hard to come by and compatibility was still a question so we settled on the 780m

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    As far as @RMSMajestic tested it, it's a no-go on a DreamColor and even less on any other configuration (i.e. LVDS display), since Pascal and Polaris dropped LVDS support. So yes, the 780m seems to be the fastest hassle-free working GPU. If M3000M stutters as well, it's quite likely that the M5000M would be in the same boat (after all they are 9 series based Quadros). Of course this has to be tested and proven, but again - enjoy your 780m, at least we know that it works flawlessly.

3. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Looks as though it is anything with the GM204 chip which includes the 965m, 970m, 980m, Quadro M3000m, M4000m, M5000m. The 780m is the GK104 so looks like Kepler architecture chips are safe but it makes me wonder if a 1st gen Maxwell (GM10x) chip would work or not. They are found in the weaker 700, 800, and 900 series cards. Since the seller has an 8740w as a test bed he is testing the 780m for me and as long as all is well I will have that on the way to me tomorrow mid day. Hopefully it doesn't get held up in customs for 6 weeks this time...

triturbo likes this.
  4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Works fine, no issues except fan control not working. I was also able to turn on 10-bit color in nVIDIA control panel for smoother color

At least I didn't experience any problems with driver version 382 and 378 for world of warships.

nVIDIA is well known for nerfing the old GPUs as oppose to AMD. So you don't always wanna stay ahead. Also, it would make no sense to install spyware such as the nVIDIA Experience Panel.

HD 7970 used to be between GTX 670 and GTX 680, and now it's almost the same as a GTX 780

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  5. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Mine is a non DC model. I was using 391 with the GTX 970m but the driver was irrelevant to me because the skipping issue occured with no driver installed as well as when booted to other non Windows OSs. I have a spare hdd I cloned when I initially setup the laptop and I even went so far as to throw that in to see what it would do with the FX 2800m driver having never tried the modded 970m one and all had the same result - skipping or whatever you want to call it.

I opted to install GeForce Experience because I'd like to make use of Nvidia's Gamestream tech to stream this PC to a lighter (weaker) laptop or my Core 2 Duo HTPCs and still play the games I want. Moonlight is an open source Gamestream client program that allows any PC Mac or even Android to become a client so you aren't just restricted to Nvidia Shield tablets or TVs.

Lots of Nvidia hate around these parts lol. It just so happens to be all I used since I was a kid so I just like the brand. I grew up around an Intel house so I guess it makes sense since they have been paired together forever.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. buttcrackplumber

buttcrackplumber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a K5000M installed on my 8740w. I have a GTX 780m I would like to install. How hard is it to get the 780 to work? I have never messed with the .INF before. Is it very complected to do? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    First check if the 780m physically aligns with your heat-sink. You'll have to grind the heat-sink if it doesn't. Secondly, for your actual question - use this guide. It would take a while the first time around, but you'll be fine afterwards.

8. trakais

trakais Newbie

Reputations:
    just installed GTX 770m (from msi) in 8740w, dual core board, non-dream screen, driver fix, works fine.

9. azal younnes

azal younnes Newbie

Reputations:
    i bought a gtx770m for my pc hp 8740w i installed the card but it did not work
    help me how did you make it work
    and I bought a Quadro k3100m but it did not work too
    i read that you have to modify .inf but i have no idea

10. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Are you getting any video on the screen at all?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk