EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. cafeogu

cafeogu Newbie

Reputations:
    Under win 10 driver can not install. Under win 7 driver with *.inf modification's work's.

2. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is freezing on a grey screen a sign of a faulty video card?
    Had to take the battery out to restart the system, holding down the power button did nothing.
    BTW the hp diagnostics app is absolutely useless, ran both short and extensive test for each category not showing any errors.

3. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    EDIT#2: The card is not working properly. I am experiencing a "skipping" issue where the computer freezes for a fraction of a second every few seconds making gaming and keyboard input next to impossible. After going back and forth with my eBay seller (dsyzyl) he has been very helpful and performed some testing for me on his end. He found that this "skipping" issue affects the 970m, 980m, M3000m and K2200m cards in the 8740w laptops so those are a no go. I wanted a card comprable to the 970m and he recommends against the 870/880m as well so we ended up settling on a 780m which actually has more shaders (1536 vs 1280) and memory bandwidth (160GB/S vs 120GB/S) but the trade off is less VRAM (4GB vs 6GB). I know it doesn't bench as well and is older but I did get a sweet deal on the 970m ($280 shipped) as it is now selling for $400 and $280 is still less than the current 780m he has for $330. Performance wise I think I will be happy with it however I am a little annoyed to have an older card as I had plans to use this card in a future laptop upgrade when the time came.

Confirmed GTX 970m 6GB works in the HP 8740w. Driver links and more information below.

Edit: Fan is stuck at full blast so I guess I'll have to run software to control it. That does explain my lower temps across the board though haha. Brightness control on the keyboard does not work however Windows brightness settings do work fine. I don't have a Dreamcolor display so I cannot comment on that. Preliminary benchmarks look great. Havn't had much time to actually play with it yet but so far it beats the hell out of my old FX2800m.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have to grind a few mm of material (shown below) from the heatsink to clear the one voltage regulator but otherwise fit like a glove. I had a Clevo cooling plate for the back side VRAM that I tried to adapt to work in my laptop but I just didn't have the clearance between the GPU and mobo to fit it.

[​IMG]

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gMOZB2HPDJ-pEvSLUq5Pz-mx1qA9u6SD

(Link Above) Verified working driver for 8740w
    Must disable signed driver checks for Windows 10
    Version 391.24
    Windows 10 x64
    Nvidia GTX 970m 6GB

Above is a link to my custom driver I used in my 8740w. It is version 391.24 and includes updated INF files for the 970m in the 8740w as well as a variety of Clevo and Alienware builds. You must disable signed driver checking in Windows 10 and it will install with no issue. I'd imagine if you add/edit a line in nvhmi.inf you can make it work for any other Elitebook depending on chipset.

Install was a complete success and I am so far happy with the results. Will be trying games and benchmarks later on tonight. So far I've observed 10-20C lower temps on both CPU and GPU surprisingly. Curious to see how that holds up after stress testing for a bit to factor in heat soak.

Below is the link to the how to PDF provided to me by my ebay seller (dsyzyl). He also provided me with nvcvi.inf and nvbli.inf modified for our needs but that did not work as I had to take the above steps to get my drivers installed. Figured it would be a good reference to link it in this thread. If you need those modified inf files download my zipped driver above and they are within the "Display.Drivers" folder.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzCUtaSqUXj9RFVTQzM1WDdXR0RXQlZkWDJPNlhWSVo4MEdZ

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  4. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Has anyone successfully got the auto fan control to work properly in HWInfo? I've read the threads from the creator that explain the issues with the temp sensor inputs but I had hoped there would be some kind of solution now. Was playing with the automatic fan control numbers and I cannot get it to automatically adjust speed at all.

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Congrats on the upgrade!

So far there's no software solution, or at least none that I know. There's a hardware one though.

Break-down on the HWInfo - Editing the table wont help, since the sensor sends wrong data (overheating), so the fan spins at full (or close to full ~3200rpm, where's full means ~3500rpm, I think that it does change (to ~3500rpm) if you load the CPU as well, but haven't tested it thoroughly). What you can do is set an rpm value of your liking (say 2700rpm) in the fourth or fifth section, so this way you can make HWInfo load this value at start-up and have relatively hassle free moderate usage, while keeping the noise down. Of course if you want to play a game, or launch a heavy application, you'll have to ramp it up manually. I'm fine with that setup and I'm not touching the fan control in about 70% of the time. Make sure to set an alarm for the CPU package, in order to know if a demanding background process kicks-in. Set it to say 86ºC, so you'll have time to ramp-up the fan in order to avoid too much thermal stress on the CPU. The CPU would be fine, I have forgotten mine way too many times (throttling @99ºC), but keeping it cool is always nice.

6. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Welp that party was short lived... Having an issue with the 970m and I believe I was sent a defective card.

The PC is "skipping" in the sense that while typing a sentence (or password) it will miss keyboard input and therefore letters. You can also see this when moving the mouse or doing anything else with motion on the screen. I confirmed it to be hardware by booting to multiple Linux live disks and the issue was there as well. One by one I swapped components, tried each RAM stick individually, swapped CPUs, and the only thing that fixed the issue was reinstalling my old FX2800m. I am within the eBay seller's 90 day warranty period so hopefully he honors it and a replacement card will be all I need... Of course the most expensive part of this build is the one that's failed... I can provide videos of the issue if you are interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Oh I like that idea. Where would I put the probe though? I'll definitely look into this after I get the above mentioned GPU issue sorted

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. triturbo

Reputations:
    That's unfortunate. I hope that all would be well with the new GPU.

The CPU, at least hat's where I'd put it. The logic is that you can do tasks without needing the GPU at all, or with light load on it (virus scanning, indexing, movies, internet and etc). So the CPU would always command the right temperature, even when gaming, you still need the CPU, so it would still generate heat and ramp-up the fan. For the later (gaming or system heavy apps (CPU + GPU)) I still recommend running it on max - slower temperature build = cooler hardware = longer lifespan.

9. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Updated my post about the 970m up there FYI. Looks like its a no go for our 8740w.

It looks like the probe isn't the flat style thermistor so it cannot be placed directly on the die. Wondering how readings at the top of the CPU cooler (between the heat pipes maybe?) would compare to the actual core readings we see in the OS. 70C for 100% fan sounds like a good target even mounted to the CPU cooler pipes. Will be doing testing on that soon.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  10. triturbo

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that. I didn't know that 9 series had this skipping issue in our machine. Anyway, the GTX 780m is still pretty solid GPU. I'm yet to get the GTX 1070 running properly, so far external only (DP), so there's that.

Looking forward to the result of your testing.