EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Peter_Luke

Peter_Luke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. I buy an HP nVidia K3100M 4GB GDDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B to install on HP 8740W or HP 8760W.
    The heatsink of 8740W need of modify to fit perfect?

2. v8rollal

v8rollal Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello
    I heve a problem with my elitebook 8740w,only works with external display,the laptop screen seems to power on but stay black.My gpu is ati firepro m7820.This happends after trying to sell the laptop and recived return faulty.
    I tryied win+p,fn+f4 and the same.I open the laptop and the screen and seems to be everything ok no scartches or damage to the screen.Please help.

3. nkar

nkar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am also interested on installing k3100m on my 8740w (now on fx3800).
    Anyone knows what do I need?
    Grinding the cooler?
    Special inf for driver installing?
    Low power working?

The seller says the k3100m is hp part

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G930F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can probablt try to reflash the vBIOS. It might just be a corrupted vBIOS
    Otherwise it might be a fried GPU or color mapping board.

5. KAWALKOWSKI

KAWALKOWSKI Newbie

Reputations:
    tried replacing a working FX 2800 with K3100m. The computer would turn on - fan running but no video output. Vbios Version 80.04.C4.00.04

Processor I7 820m
    8GB Ram
    Non Dream color

6. Takiyon

Takiyon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone thought about upgrading the bluetooth module to the new 4.0? I am starting to have a hard time with the current module. I am thinking about buying this https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Blu...&qid=1515941755&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+4.0
    Then taking it apart and soldering it to this http://forum.notebookreview.com/att...8/?temp_hash=2f93a9eea0af3075a5a60fb0834cdf95
    It looks like there are only 4 leads so it would be just a usb connection so I could solder it to the board on the new usb adapter. Does anyone have a pinout? Ideas??? If successful this could be a sticky. :)

Attached Files:

7. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will installing a quadro m5500m require Bios modding or will it simply be plug and play? Will any m5500m work or does it have to be from a cetain company?

And does anyone know where to buy the aluminium lid assembly? Mine is all dented up from the previous owner. I have the dc display so I'm not sure if it's exactly identical to the regular 8740 with tn panels.

8. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm looking at getting an 8740W, and am wondering if it is possible to upgrade the GPU from the 5000M to something newer. I searched for the most recent posts about the 8740, and noticed there are some unanswered questions about GPU upgrades on this thread.

Also, is the DreamColor better than the Dell Premium Color, and is the EliteBook better than the corresponding generation Dell Precision?

I believe that the 8740W was the last 16 x 10 IPS. Are the Dells all 16 x 9?

9. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    The 8740w was the last 16:10 for HP, and the M6500 was the last 16:10 for Dell. Everything after that was 16:9.

I don't think Dell had an IPS in that generation; the M6500 Covet came with a RGB LED screen, but I don't believe it was IPS. Hardware-wise, the M6500 edges out the 8740w, it's has a slightly smaller footprint, internal space for 2x 2.5" hard drives, mSATA drive, and DVDROM drive simultaneously, as well as separate CPU and GPU fans.

In build quality, the 8740w feels better to me, and has better aesthetics; the M6500 is pretty much just a big brick of a machine. The 8740w has also seemed more reliable to me, my M6500 has always been fussy about the fingerprint reader and the TPM chip seems to be going out, as well as the graphics card (although my M6500 has nVidia vs the ATI in my 8740w). That's totally anecdotal, though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is the GPU upgradeable from 5000M to something better? Also, can the driver for the 480M be used with the Quadro to achieve better gaming? (Yes...I like to break up work sessions with a little gaming on whatever machine I'm on.)