EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Takiyon

Takiyon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The receiver is right here. I guess you would need to find something with the same connector for USB. When you find it let me know because the one i have sucks and drops out every now and then.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    triturbo likes this.
  3. Takiyon

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just got my K5000m and put everything together. I will post more pics later but here are the GPU-z screenshots. Looks like she is holding steady. Ran Mass Effect Andromeda and looks great. The temps look normal so far also. 72 degrees with a i7-920xm, and as you can see from the picks, I used copper shims with thermal epoxy and my dremel. Also used 1mm thermal pads, re-used some of the old pads from the 3800fx as well as the thermal putty(after i took the pictures). Using the heatsink of my old 3800fx for my new k5000m was still by far the cheapest route though. Ready to go plug and play setup is still $500 bucks so I figured I lucked out. I bought the GPU for $210 so far happy with it. Let me know what you all think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Looker1122 likes this.
  4. Looker1122

Looker1122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    great!
    BTW do you have 32 GB of RAM with 4 memory sticks?

5. Takiyon

Reputations:
    Yes. Why? Still finding ways to Max out this machine. GPU was a big part of it.

6. Looker1122

Looker1122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Because there is a known problem (on some machines only) that there are unexpected fans rev-up to full speed and after 30 secs shutdown when 4 banks of memory are set.
    What is exact model number of your RAM sticks?

7. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will the charger wireing mod work with my laptop if I put the 100k resister into a 230w alienware adapter before one of the ferrite things?

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yes, it would, as long as you keep the configuration the same as in the picture.

9. Takiyon

Reputations:
    Looks like 102464BF160B

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct2kit102464bf160b

[​IMG]

Looker1122 likes this.
  10. xnem3s1sx

xnem3s1sx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, looking for a little help here, cause I feel like I'm missing something.

Bought a gtx 460m off ebay. (after a k1000m didn't work at all) When booting, I get some weird black and white blocking, then the screen stays black. At first I thought it was just incompatible, but after a few attempts to reseat the thing, it worked! Well, sort off.

I got white on every other line of the 800x400 or so output, but the HP logo and windows logo both showed, and it got to the login screen. I then shut it down, because I wasn't confident about the thermals, since i hadn't put in the new pads, (was using the old ones) and had crappy thermal paste application. removed the card, fixed all that up, put back in...

Nothing. just the white blocks and then blackness. (but screen is still on) Now I can't get it to work again at all. I don't imagine I've killed the card, since it's not giving any of the flashing light errors that the k1000m got or anything like that. (and it seems like it's actually booting)

I tried external monitors on both the display port and VGA outputs, but they give nothing either. Any ideas? I cleaned the contacts of the card, used compressed air on the mxm slot (gently), redid all the thermal paste, tried reseating it for about half an hour, etc. When I plug in the old 2800fx, it works first time, every time. (so it's not me doing it wrong on the connections on the boards)

IDK if the card is dead or what, but I can't figure it out on my own, and my friends, (who all work in IT, networking, and programming) weren't able to offer anything I hadn't thought of and tried.

I REALLY need this thing working properly. All I want is for GPU acceleration to work in Adobe Premiere. (the only reason the fx2800m doesn't work is because the drivers haven't been updated!) I can re-assemble it with the 2800, but I can't keep editing on it when it's in CPU only mode, it's just too slow.