EliteBook 8740w Ultimate Upgrade Guide (mSATA mod, GPU upgrade, cooling and etc)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by triturbo, Aug 18, 2015.

1. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    TBH I really really doubt that it's full scale rendering in the first place. We are talking about some simple games like Fruit Ninja VR / VR Kanojo and they are already giving my R9 nano (undervolted and overclocked, ~15% faster than stock) a hard time..... the most powerful GPU now, Titan Xp, is about twice as fast as R9 nano, yet still nowhere near enough. (resolution from 1080p to 4k quadriples the workload). Not to mention the VR games now are just the graphics of the games back in 2006.

Imagine the power needed for Assassin's Creed kind of graphics in VR, even at 720p.....

2. Looker1122

Looker1122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes. In VR there is 90 fps + 2 cameras (left + right) + fixed 1200x1200 resolution per each camera (at this moment).
    It needs many years for graphics would be like A'sC on VR googles.

3. Looker1122

Reputations:
    FYI:
    32 GB working RAM on 8740w - four 8 GB Hynix 1600 MHz PC3L-12800S HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1,35 V chips. :) (EDIT: working @1333 MHz CL9 of course, but on 1,35 V)
    (BIOS Startup test and Windows Memory Diagnostic pre-boot test - both passed; at this moment Prime95's 30000 MB custom burn-in torture test runs in background).

Initially there was strange information shown in Windows Info window (Win+Pause) - 32GB installed (16 GB available), but after little shuffling chips in slots there is now stated 32 GB installed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm so looking forward to A'sC on VR goggles... That day mankind will definitely doom

5. Takiyon

Takiyon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm hoping somone in the community can give me a solid answer. I have been doing some comparison shopping and I finally settled on the two cards below and hoping someone could recommend one. These two cards are pretty cheap and much better than the ATI 7820 that I have in the machine now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Dell-M66...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-728557-0...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Once I upgrade the video card I'm going to take my bluray drive stick it in a USB enclosure and put another hard drive in the ODD slot. Hopefully running RAID0 will make boot times and gaming awesome.

--ALSO--
    So I use my machine overseas while deployed and the original 2800FX sucked, so I put in the ATI card. I was better, now I wanna play Mass Effect Andromeda and the ATI is not taking it very well. Will a K3100m or K4100m be sufficient? Since they can be had for like 150$ or 200$ on ebay. Who can I pay to make a kit for me for my 8740w? I would like to upgrade my 8740w to a K3100m. The only thing I wanna do is plug and play since I have neither the resources or time to be grinding heat sinks and such. If anything someone could pre-grind the heatsinks for that card and give me instructions and I will buy the card. Let me know how much and what you need. Anyone?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  6. Takiyon

Takiyon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you know if this will work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-728557-0...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

or can you recommend which one I should buy. I want to upgrade to the k3100m. Thank You. :)

7. Iian

Iian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi I used to have a Quadro k3100m on my 8740W with GTX675mx Drivers forced in with an inf mod, the GeForce drivers are much better for gaming than the quadro drivers.
    Ive now got the GTX680m installed, an amazing GPU with an inf mod install and running on manual fans controlled with HWINFO64, I can easily run DOOM 2016 on high at 50fps
    which amazed me, I do have to wind down the i7 920xm a bit with a 99% setting on windows processor setting but all runs really well under 80 deg on both GPU and CPU on 2800 revs.

8. Iian

Iian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Forgot to say I modded the heatsink for the GPU by cutting away the top section exposing the VRMS and chokes of which Ive added heatsinks with 3m adhesive, otherwise the VRAM and GPU are both
    covered with Thermal pads and IC Diamond 7 Thermal paste (great thermal paste even though a little thick at first to apply)

9. Looker1122

Reputations:
    Takiyon likes this.
  10. ChipStewart

ChipStewart Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone have experience / info on upgrading the Bluetooth in my 8740w? I just got a Logitech MX Master mouse, which uses Bluetooth 4.0 & Unifying receiver. I don't like having to keep the receiver dongle in and using one of my USB ports.