Elitebook 8540w Still Not Stable Driver Available For Its NVIDIA QUADRO FX 1800M Card

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by cypherinfo, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    for games to run with the FX1800M you need to ensure you have the Directx 9.0C libraries from microsoft.com/directx.

Secondly if the game is older than 2008 you need to run it in windows xp mode as well, (don't need to on the 270.xx driver)

but it will stop black screens.

2. kazazel

kazazel Newbie

Reputations:
    well i dont have the fx1800m, but fx880m. It still solves the problem for me. So i think i will let it be.

3. cypherinfo

cypherinfo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, just for inform all of the 8540w users: the NVIDIA 267.24 gave a black screen!
    See the attached image!

I wonder if I have to restart my test on the already tested drivers with the new Windows 7 professional 64 bit updates as from yesterday.
    See the attached image.

Tried the demo version of Crysis 2 by Electronic arts and it seems to go pretty well with the newly installed driver by NVIDIA: 266.58 I'm trying now.

Posted all of those pieces of information to the NVIDIA support forum and contacted the Electronic Arts support.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. Ingvarr

Ingvarr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally I have found that a lot of "unexplained unstability" of NVidia laptop cards stem from their "Powermizer" dynamic frequency switching technology.
    In theory, it should change clocks of video card dependant on load to somewhat reduce power consumption. In practice with some boards it results in instability, where GPU clock switch causes a glitch/hang/bluescreen.

Its eary enough to turn dynamic frequency switching off and see if it helps, just use free PowerMizer Manager utility - PowerMizer Manager | Some More Bytes

I have a Quadro myself and used PM Manager to set "static" profile, with max clock on AC power and min clock on battery. And it completely cured all sporadic bluescreens/freezes I've observed, my laptop uptime now more than a week usually.

5. Jrunner01

Jrunner01 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi all...

I have the same issues above and have tried the PowerMizer controller and no resolution was found with it.

Has anyone solved this yet or know of another solution?

HP Elitebook 8540w
    fx1800m - Driver 12/4/2010 \ 8.17.12.6128

Thanks in advance...

6. cypherinfo

cypherinfo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, thank you for your interest:

1. update to the last INTEL CHIPSET from the INTEL web site: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...Intel®+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility;
    2. daownload and install the latest driver from the NVIDIA web site: NVIDIA DRIVERS 270.61 WHQL
    3. read carefully the PowerMizer manager application before to use it: PowerMizer Manager | Some More Bytes
    4. post if necessary your issue in the NVIDIA community forum for the official thread related to the 270.61 version: Official WHQL NVIDIA 270.61 Display Driver Feedback Thread For NVIDIA Geforce Desktop/Notebook/ION GPUs - NVIDIA Forums - Page 18

Let us know if all of those fixed.

Thank you.

www.twitter.com/cypherinfo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.