Electronic devices - Fail quickly or last forever?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kenny1999, Aug 15, 2019.

1. kenny1999

kenny1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've once heard a saying - An electronic device fails quickly or lasts forever. Do you agree that?

My experiences are
    1. My iPhone 5s failed totally in 11.5 months' time, 15 days before warranty expired, I got replacement, and the new iPhone lasts another 5 years, without major problems, and only a dark line shows up on the side of the screen recently, but it still works.

2. My Samsung PC screen failed in 2 years' time after purchase, luckily warranty covered again, some parts were replaced for free and then after 10 years, today it 's still working perfectly. The screen has been used for 12 years of time now.

3. A cheap digital clock (about $5 bucks) didn't show up text correctly on opening and setting up
    time and alarm was not possible. I went for replacement of another one it just works totally and perfectly for another two years.

Is there any research on this topic by scientists or professors?
    What's the main reason behind?

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Faulty installation or faulty equipment is more than likely to fail early in the life of the product. If nothing is wrong, then the product will more than likely survive its intended lifespan. Of course there are always Gremlins.