Electric cars $40k and under

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wikipedia has a review article on electric vehicle warning sounds that you may find interesting, in particular what's written under "United States" and "United Kingdom".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

etern4l likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd love to have the time to look at that 2011 UK research with the intent to constructively massacre lol. Fortunately, the research proved irrelevant since apparently the UK was an early adopter of EU rules on this:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...t-have-audible-warning-system-for-pedestrians

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Back to the topic of electric cars $40k and under, Chevy just showed off the 2022 Bolt and Bolt EUV. They start at $31,995 and $33,995 respectively, with estimated ranges of 259 and 250 miles. The Bolt EUV also features optional Super Cruise, a first for Chevy. The better equipped Bolt EUV Launch Edition starts at $43,495.

https://www.motor1.com/news/487777/2022-chevrolet-bolt-ev-euv-specs/

Mitlov and etern4l like this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The Bolt EUV is now my #1 favorite EV on the market. If I go EV instead of PHEV, it's a very very very serious contender. Styling is subjective, but I love its styling inside and out. It perfectly walks the line of being modern without being Star Trek (like a Prius Prime), and traditional without being bland (like the Kia Niro). And since it's a long-wheelbase and refreshed version of an existing car, not a brand new platform, I don't have any concerns about buying it the first year it's on the market (unlike the brand-new Mach-E and ID4). And the pricing is right where I need it to be. I just love it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Convel likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There are going to be LOTS of awesome electrics coming out in the next 2 to 3 years. I am seriously looking at the Wrangler 4xe for our travel rig, and getting the wife either the niro or bolt euv. Unless we get a fully electric small all wheel drive jeep product. Then we will be getting that. I have already moved all my powersports equipment to electric. Only thing left to change is the ride on lawn mower. I have an acre of land so ride on is a necessity. I want to put solar here at the house but our house is so large, I don't think we would get enough power from wind and solar alone.

Mitlov likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Test-drove a 2019 Chevy Volt (with a V, not a B). Dealer wants about $20k for it. It's AMAZING. It drives like a pure electric car, with smooth, powerful, effortless acceleration. Steering is direct and precise, and handling is confident and even playful on a twisty road, without it being harsh over rough pavement like my Civic Si. The interior is snug, and some of the plastics in back aren't luxurious, but the seats and wheel are fantastic. It wasn't fully charged when I took it out, so it ran out of power partway through the drive...and the gas engine kicked in, acting as a generator instead of powering the wheels directly...so the power delivery was still EV-esque, instant and smooth, even after exceeding the battery's range (estimated at about 50 miles). So I get the EV experience in day-to-day driving without ever worrying about the nearly-nonexistent fast-charger network in rural Oregon.

I also test-drove a Crosstrek PHEV (hated hated hated it...good on paper but the suspension was a mess, the drivetrain noises were truly obnoxiously loud, and the driver's seat had no lumbar support). Will test-drive one or two options next weekend (primarily the Prius Prime), but I'll likely go back and buy the Volt. I absolutely adore it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    kojack and etern4l like this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Awesome. We just got chargers installed across the island. After the patriot is wore out, we will be getting a full electric vehicle to replace that. After the Wrangler is ready to go I will be getting the 4xe wrangler rubicon. enough electric only charge to do my errands etc every day, and get way better gas milage on long trips compared to my current wrangler. That volt is awesome though.

Mitlov likes this.
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I test drove the Prius Prime and I'm going to go with the Chevy Volt. The Prius Prime has a much roomier back seat than the Volt, and driving-wise was far better than I expected (nimble for a Toyota, objectively not fast but reasonably responsive and torquey when you tap the accelerator). But the Chevy drove better in every way. And the Prius' infotainment system was the worst I've ever experienced, in any car, ever. I fiddled with it for several minutes and I couldn't even figure out how to turn on the FM radio!

The Volt is a great car overall and I'm gonna get it next weekend. It's a shame GM didn't keep selling this, and make a crossover version for people who need more space. It's such a great option for people who want the EV driving experience without worrying about range and fast-charging networks.

custom90gt likes this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Plot twist! On Monday, I made an appointment to do the paperwork on the Chevy Volt for this Saturday. On Wednesday, the dealership texted me and told me that they'd sold it to someone else despite my appointment. No other Volts on sale in the area, so I had to go to Plan B. I negotiated an absolute insane deal on a new Prius Prime, and so I bought it today. Mine is black-and-white with roof racks, but this is the model I ended up buying:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, it's not a true sport sedan, but it drives FAR better than I ever thought a Prius would. Very agile and composed in turns, and very responsive with instant torque to accelerator pedal input, even though it's not objectively fast.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021 at 12:30 AM
    killkenny1, etern4l and Jarhead like this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Here it is:

Attached Files:

killkenny1 likes this.