eGPU to laptop issues (code 43)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by elmenhorster, Jan 18, 2017.

1. elmenhorster

elmenhorster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

My laptop model: Clevo W670CZ
    BIOS: 1.03.06 (2014)
    Graphics: intel hd

I've tried to hook external GPU (gtx 1050) with my laptop using Exp GDC Beast PCI-E dock. Luckily, motherboard detected the GPU, but after installing nvidia drivers I got "code 43" error telling me that "windows stopped this device because it reported problems". My BIOS has no option to configure anything related to video devices and is 2 years older than given GPU. Could this be the root of the problem? I did some research and found a few cases involving bios update that fixed this error. The whole bios update thing is freaking me out, since I can't even find one. Maybe I should just ditch my new GPU then get something older from 2014 and go from there? What are your thoughts guys? What would you do in my situation?

2. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    If you have @Prema BIOS or unlocked BIOS. Enable PCIe hot plugging for the respective port you are connecting the eGPU to. Or use a driver older 372.90. preferably the 372.70.

3. elmenhorster

Reputations:
    This is my bios: http://i.imgur.com/fNhIJxs.png
    Regarding drivers, when I browse gtx1050 drivers the oldest one I see is 375.63, it was released in Oct, 2016. I checked your driver number, it supports 1060,1070,1080, but not 1050? From what I see my card wasn't even out when they released these drivers. Should I just try it regardless?

4. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Yeap then you will need to.mod the driver inf with the the appropriate hardware IDs.

5. elmenhorster

Reputations:
    Alright, I can do that. I'll mess with different drivers tomorrow. One thing I forgot to mention though, when I try to restart OS after installation it hangs at "Shutting down" screen. I have to power-off my laptop manually. Not a good sign.

6. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    That might be related to the hot plugging. But I'm not sure. It might be something else entirely .
    But try and see if there is an unlocked BIOS for you laptop somewhere. That is the easiest solution.

7. elmenhorster

Reputations:
    I modded 372.70 and indeed there's no longer code 43, manager shows that device is working properly. However, my games won't launch anymore. Changing "prefered graphics processor" in NVIDIA Control Panel does nothing. One game has a launcher and there were options to choose from now there is nothing. Other game crashes to desktop instantaneously. Could it still be a driver issue?
    So if I manage to get unlocked BIOS, what am I suppose to do there?

Edit: I've tested older game (2012) an error popped "this game requires a shader model 3.0 compatible graphics adapter".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    That is indeed weird, im really not sure about the games not launching part.

But if you manage to get the BIOS unlocked, you will need to goto PCIe preferences under the chipset section and enable hot Plugging for the port your are connecting the GPU to.

9. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could try a stock BIOS update, although I don't know of any updates from Clevo to address this.

Which iteration of the W670 do you have (CZ is not right)? Is it RZ, RC, etc.?

10. elmenhorster

Reputations:
    I uninstalled drivers and unplugged eGPU things now back to normal. Thanks for the heads up on hot plugging though, if I pull this off I'll post it here.

Oh yeah, sorry about that it 's W670SZ. Motherboard is W65-67SZ. There's actually a full pdf manual of 240 pages I found yesterday.
    I suspect my BIOS is so limited due to the fact that there's no dGPU in laptop.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017