eGPU Results - Clevo P870DM-G + GTX1080 + TB3 HDK / PE4C v4.1 (M.2 NGFF)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by bloodhawk, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jaces99

jaces99 Newbie

Reputations:
    mine sadly says egpu not supported , makes no sense updated to newest one and all got a devil box trying to play with ,

2. jaces99

jaces99 Newbie

Reputations:
    how do i enable it ,?
    p870dm g

3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Which device are you trying to use the P870DM-G with?

Sorry answer is you can't enable it unless Clevo has released a firmware update that I'm unaware of.

4. jaces99

jaces99 Newbie

Reputations:
    how did you enable on your system ?curious ?

5. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Custom Firmware by @Prema .

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Slightly off-topic (I take my liberties), but have you tried to connect a TB3 eGPU to a notebook that has an Optimus setup AND gotten the eGPU to run applications the notebook's internal display?
    I'm currently testing a setup like that, and so far, I've been unsuccessful getting the eGPU to run applications on the notebook's internal display. The eGPU shows up just fine in the Device Manager, and it shows as connected in the system tray. However, the Nvidia Control Panel only shows options for "High-performance NVIDIA processor" or "Integrated graphics". I can't seem to find a way to tell an application I specifically want it to run on the eGPU.
    The notebook is an HP Spectre x360 15, and I have a PowerColor Devil Box with a GTX 1080 FE inside.

Also, would you happen to know any specifics about the performance overhead involved in TB3 conversion? Is it the same with every setup, or does it vary?

Charles

7. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    I personally haven't tried it on any thing other than my Clevo and the Razer Blade.
    But there shouldn't any be any issues running it that way. The eGPu is only able to pass through to the internal display if there is Optimus / iGpu enabled.

You might need to disable the other dedicated GPU in the BIOS to be able to use the eGPU. Might even need the latest Thunderbolt firmware from HP.

Also once the eGPU is connected, try disabling the dedicated GPU in the device manager.

As for the over head, it's pretty much the same across the board with similar controllers that work in full duplex mode. Feel had been implementing certain half duplex ones recently in some laps that severely limit the speeds.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  8. jaces99

jaces99 Newbie

Reputations:
    so basically prema bios? mod?

9. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    No. This is different. And cannot be flashed normally.

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I disabled the onboard GeForce GPU in the notebook to no effect; applications would only run on the integrated graphics.
    I then hooked up an external monitor to the eGPU box; same result.
    I had to disable the notebook's internal display in order for the eGPU to function. And then it worked just fine.

I agree with you that it should be possible for the eGPU to run applications on the notebook's internal display assuming the notebook has integrated graphics. But so far, no dice.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Charles