eGPU Results - Clevo P870DM-G + GTX1080 + TB3 HDK / PE4C v4.1 (M.2 NGFF)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by bloodhawk, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Sreto

Sreto Newbie

Reputations:
    I will use it mostly for some medium rendering and modeling in Maya and 3ds Max (character designs, environment...) and for games like FarCry Primal, Witcher etc. If i can upgrade laptop with eGPU then i won't buy Desktop PC in few years. When i decide to do it, ill use that card for new PC. :)

2. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Maya and 3DS Max wont really benefit from an eGPU, they are more CPU dependent. The GPU will come into play only if you are dealing with really heavy geo caches that you might need to load into the video memory.
    Other than that, unless you use VRAY RT a lot, the GPU doesn't do much work.
    Games however will definitely benefit, but for games like Witcher 3, you might hit a CPU bottleneck at higher resolutions.
    For both the use cases you mentioned you will be better off getting something with a beefier processor and a GTX 1070, or something with a good processor. Specially since you want to render stuff, like environments.
    Now even if an eGPU will be beneficial for gaming, over TB3 there is a pretty decent performance hit, but it will for sure be a decent bump over the 1050Ti/1060 if you use a 1070/1080. BUT only if you use an external monitor and dont do loop back.

All of this is assuming that eGPU's will work with the Lenovo systems that you mentioned earlier, there are a lot of new BIOS/Nvidia driver related hurdles these days using M.2 based eGPU solutions, TB3 based solutions work, buy they are very dependent on the system AND only worth it if the TB3 implementation is full 32Gbps and not the halved out 16-20Gbps one.

dspboys and Sreto like this.
  3. theinsaneaussie

theinsaneaussie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Bloodhawk,

I've finally got around to attempting this (pe4c, 1080 and PSU) but struggling with a few things in trying to have the P870DM work correctly with it. Examined your photos closely to ensure I've setup them the same. I've tried both M2 port for sanity check, now setup in the same manner as your images using the vertical M2 slow.

Device manager is constantly reporting a code 43 with the 1080 pretty much no matter what I attempt.

Few points:
    1) Reinstalled Nvidia drivers multiple times without any changes
    2) Device is listed correctly in device manager, just code 43
    3) GPU Z correctly identifies everything, though appears it's reporting my M2 slot @ x2 v1.1 - very different to your screenshots
    4) This is a Metabox P870DM-G, so thought it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure if I'd need Prema's bios?

And unfortunately broke the keyboard in the process - the LED just snapped as I was reinstalling it, no pressure was being applied. It seems without this the laptop doesn't even recognise the keyboard anymore - incredibly stupid.

Sorry to turn to you for tech support here but haven't found anyone else doing this.

4. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Are you using 1080 card? Where this card is coming from? What is VBIOS? We support for now gtx 1060 and 1070 but not 1080.

5. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Hey!

So from what i can remember before i tore the setup down, was that the Code 43 was coming up with any driver that was newer than 372.59 (if i remember correctly). Only way to get past this was to enable PCIe Hotplugging in the BIOS. Which is only available on the @Prema BIOS.

Hes using an eGPU setup not an internal MXM GPU.

6. theinsaneaussie

theinsaneaussie Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply Bloodhawk!

I've tried downgrading the drivers, seems no luck for me. I did some digging around regarding Prema's bios (and the backstory there) so if I could get a copy from Prema I'm not sure if it would work as it's a different reseller (Metabox are the only ones in Australia).

I guess the other option I could entertain right now is going back to a desktop and just keeping the laptop for travel where the 980 is sufficient for the 1080p scren it has.

Thanks again for all the help Bloodhawk.

bloodhawk likes this.