eGPU Results - Clevo P870DM-G + GTX1080 + TB3 HDK / PE4C v4.1 (M.2 NGFF)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by bloodhawk, Oct 5, 2016.

1. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    That is indeed weird. In your BIOS is there any option that lets you completely disable Optimus/MSHybrid?

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll check when I get a chance.

I just hooked up the eGPU to the Dell Latitude 7480 we reviewed, and the eGPU powered the internal display on the notebook just fine. So who knows. This technology seems not to be implemented that consistently.

Charles

bloodhawk likes this.
  3. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Cant be more right about that, its an Intel/Apple demon child with **** tons of shady licensing crap.

Papusan likes this.
  4. endrol

endrol Newbie

Reputations:
    I think it has somthing to do with available PCI-E lanes for the thunderbolt. Your x360 15 only have 2 lanes compared to the 4 lanes that is in the x360 13. that is because of the dGPU. It shuld work fine with external monitor, dont think you have the bandiwidth to send information to eGPU and then back to you screen.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  5. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    As far as i can find they both are using the same processor. The lanes wont be the problem just yet.

6. Jax_Cavalera

Jax_Cavalera Newbie

Reputations:
    Im eager to see if someone can get the x360 to work with eGPU via TB3 too.

The laptop is a beast with the ability to upgrade ram to a technically possible 32gb as it is slotted DDR4 modules so to also get that egpu makes it an instant buy for me.

Coincidentally I've been looking into the powercolor devil box as the eGPU enclosure of choice but was wondering if all those extras you do get would be a contributing factor vs something more basic like Akitio's Thunder3 enclosure.

@Charles P. Jefferies Please do keep us updated with the progress I really hope it can be made to work, also what model x360 15-Bl0XXXX are you using?

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Spectre 360 15 I have is 15-bl002xx.

The problem with the Spectre x360 for gaming is that it has the 15-watt Intel dual-core processors. Those are not good enough for many of the latest AAA games. Mass Effect Andromeda, for example, recommends a Core i7-4790 quad-core.

I benchmarked Rise of the Tomb Raider with its built-in benchmark; DirectX 11 mode, Very High preset, at 1080p.
    HP Spectre x360 15 w/ Core i7-7500U, external display, TB3 eGPU w/ GTX 1080 FE: 72 fps
    Dell Latitude 7480 w/ Core i7-7600U, internal display, TB3 eGPU w/ GTX 1080 FE: 59 fps
    Desktop w/ Core i7-6700 and the same GTX 1080 FE: 124 fps

I suspect most of the performance hit relative to a desktop comes from the dual-core CPU. @bloodhawk do you have the game, and could benchmark for comparison?

P.S. I couldn't get the Latitude to work properly with only an external display connected to the eGPU, and the internal display disabled. The CPU locked itself at 0.70GHz, but this only appeared to happen when I stressed the eGPU. In Windows and elsewhere, the CPU used its full clocks just fine. I have no idea why. But if we can compare the Dell and HP numbers, the performance hit using the internal display on the notebook is around 20 to 25 percent.

Charles

bloodhawk likes this.
  8. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Yeah I have, will test it out this weekend. Laptop is at work at the moment.

9. Sreto

Sreto Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings people!

I would like to buy Lenovo Legion Y520 (Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ and GTX 1050ti) which is 1k euros or Legion Y720 (i5-7300HQ and GTX 1060 version) which is 1350 euros, but y720 is kind of expensive... So which one is worth buying? Y520 doesn't have TB3 but i think he has M.2 pcie x4 thing? inside. I would prefer cheap one, because i think that GTX 1050ti won't last for a long period of time like 5 years?
    My question is:
    Is it worth upgrading eGPU like gtx 1070 or 1080 on Y520 via M.2 in few years? I will probably make my own custom eGPU case and buy all cables, coolers, PCU and m.2 to pcie 3.0 connector and slot. But still, in few years eGPU cases will be cheap so uh...

10. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    That will entirely depend on your usage. And what type of performance you are looking for.