eGPU in WiFi slot

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by KrisValentine, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColaMonster

ColaMonster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alienware 18 #mobileminingrig

jk.

I did just get an idea though. Why not use either the wifi card slot or msata slot to x1, then modify and stick a x1 card where the second gpu would go(ive got a 1060, so i cant use that slot anyhow) better wifi? more usb ports? more sata slots if you find a place for the hard drives? usb c?

2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The MSATA slot is wired specifically for Sata, and same for the mPCIE slot. As for MXM to X1, why? Why not just make a MXM to X16, or better yet, upgrade your dGPU?

3. ColaMonster

Reputations:
    Trust me, mxm to x16 is being worked on, but its not complete yet :(

and whilst wired specifically for it, it can be used for other things. like you can put a mpcie - usb port there and itd work.

but im not saying mxm to x1, im saying mpcie and put the card itself in the area where the second mxm chip would go

4. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is it? It seems the creator is now where to be found sadly, but there is a DIY version of it

Anyways, eGPU on a X1 slot is just silly anyways, and you would need a a special MPCIE extender from the MPCIE slot, which would take up the only MPCIE slot there is on the 18 R3

5. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In case you have a 780m sli with flawless cards I personally see no point in ugprading. I have checked my 2 systems with the "Steam FPS-Counter" and they behave on-par, with minimal differences of maybe 2-3 FPS, smtimes the 780m SLI even gives more FPS than the 1060.
    Same games on both sytems.

6. ColaMonster

Reputations:
    Yeah, but the DIY is still in progress last i heard

and Egpu on x1 is silly, but im concidering doing a project now using the mpcie for other things, by converting it to a x1 port directly, and maybe a soundcard, more usb's, or something

and I would agree with M18x Oldie here, unless your having a specific problem with your dual 780m's no real need to upgrade. I would definitely assume though in games without proper sli support, that a 1060 upgrade would be nice. (Killing floor 2 last time i played it on my m18x with 460'm sli it would flicker block, and everyone seemed to have that problem with sli) and Pubg would just crash with sli open, but those may or may not have been fixed.

But alot of newer titles arent coming with sli support, so beware of that. But unless you currently are having difficulties, why upgrade? :)

I do need a pair of 780m's for my m18x, so keep me posted ;)

7. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    As far as I'd read and understood, 2-way SLI won't be affected that much, mainly 3-way and up, but possible I'd not read the articles clear enough :D

To date I didn't have any probs with SLI at all, there may be different experiences due to everyone's playing different games ;)

8. KrisValentine

KrisValentine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let’s utilise the 3rd dimension and have bridges and tunnels over and under the x16 2d !

I’ll let you know if I end up leaving my 780s.

Mastermind5200 likes this.
  9. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    Yeah cool stuf, cause the E7440 does not have a full x16 MXM-Slot at all ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.