eGPU benchmarks

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by kragen2179, Dec 18, 2020.

1. kragen2179

kragen2179 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now that I'm down to a single GTX675M in my m18xR2 I'm considering options for upgrade...

MXM 3.0b cards are EXPENSIVE!!! I might be able to pick up a used 765m for about $200CAD but then I saw eGPU were possible via expresscard?

Looks like only PCIe x1 on the m18xR2 expresscard slot :( two questions...

1) how high can you go with the eGPU? And what sort of performance will you get?

2) I saw a thread that said it throttled badly unless on an external monitor. Can you run it back to the m18xr2 via HDMI in?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  2. kragen2179

kragen2179 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK one more question... whatever happened to the sour ninja dual wield.

I know his kickstarter failed but I did some more searching...

And i foind this product at taobao.com only problem is I don't read Chinese. [​IMG]

Also I found this video that shows a 3rd option for the gdc beast, using the WiFi connector.

I'd really like to know who if anyone has managed to build a working eGPU solution on an M18xR2 and what is the most powerful card successfully used in it.

If in the unlikely event I can find an mxm 3 to pcie 16 cable, is going to be plug and play? Or do I need to mess with settings?

Depending on speed differences i feel like direct connection to the mxm slots seems to be the most obvious choice to avoid bottlenecks/still use main display but would also be most invasive. Out of curiosity...

IF these cables exist/work

And IF one were to fit 2 to their M18xR2

Would SLI be possible via the internal connector or would that need to be removed and use the desktop card"s SLI connectios

3. Azther

Azther Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i know its rather expensive, but since the r2 can handle a gtx 1070 in SG mode, that still might be ur best option, or a 1060 even. i was able to get a 780m for my r1 for roughly 200 bucks on ebay so that 765m seems abit overpriced to me (would have gone for a higher card but r1 bios is limited upto the 8 series). sadly ive never used any of those external gpu solutions so cant really advise in that department.

personally i wouldnt want cables hanging out of my laptop, would make the thing look like its on life support lol