Eee PC 1215n Performance

Discussion in 'Asus' started by oogamar, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DraXxus1549

DraXxus1549 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can say that Visual Studio 2008 Professional is on my 1215n with no issues, I have not tried MS SQL but I would imagine there would be no issues.

2. oogamar

oogamar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also have VS2008 on mine and it works fine. Theres no reason SQL shouldn't work well aswell.

3. roger221

roger221 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,
    I got my 1215N since last October and have a issue with the Hard-drive.
    I needed a bigger hard drive, so I got me a 750GB from Seagate to replace the 250GB Seagate.
    Installation went flawless (did not brake any tabs :)), and also after cloning the HD everything seemed to work perfect. All installed software's worked fine, could do everything that I did with the 250GB until I decided to go and get me new updates from MS. I can't update win7 anymore.
    The update page is just coming back and back and back it also claims I never updated the win7 OS.
    After checking for errors it came back that there are critical errors and the error message is 0x8000ffff. tried to fix it so far to no avail.
    I decided to just reinstall the OS and that's where the problem starts. The installation started from the hidden drive fine up to a certain point and then a message pops up:
    "Can't finish the installation due to hardware incompatibility"
    and that's the end of it.
    The 750GB is from the same Seagate family as the original 250GB and that's the only hardware change I did.
    Of course the computer would not start anymore but I had a Image file so I restored the C-Drive and all works again, except I can't update the OS.
    Before I started the swap of the HD, I had several images from the 250GB drive. 1 was just a compressed backup and the second one was a sector by sector backup, 3rd was a backup with a different software as .img.
    I did that since I know backups can fail.
    The old drive is installed in a USB3 box since I have 2 ports with USB3 on my 1215N.
    All backups restored to the new drive would have the win7 OS update problem.
    I also cloned the HD (C-Drive) from the USB3 box over to the installed drive, after reboot all is there including the 0x8000ffff. :(
    BIOS is updated to 0701 firmware.
    Anybody has any Idea what is going on?
    Would appreciate if anybody has a solution. Thanks

4. queefinout

queefinout Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    has anyone tried running any call of duty games 4 and up with the new beta drivers? I really want to play some multiplayer!

5. Seskal

Seskal Newbie

Reputations:
    Since I've installed the new 270.51 Beta drivers, I'm having great performance problems in OpenGl based games (especially Quake series, but also other games). Has anyone else experienced these problems?

6. zudukai

zudukai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys, sorry i've been really busy IRL and couldn't post vids or much at all but it seems my computer is acting VERY strange,

i just installed the new 267 drivers and i can't seem to use my ION properly anymore, in GTA4 it says i have 56mb of graphics ram and doesn't load the game, and 3Dmark06 only detects my intel chip, PLUS i can't seem to find anywhere in the Nvidia Cp the force graphics tab or anything anymore, there is only three "tasks" (dev setting, sys info, and prof policies) and one system update, i don't get it, i'm going to try running 3dmk first and comparing it's results to my original stats, after that i'll post back my results... so yeah seskal your not the only one here.

i hope my systems ok, it got toyed with by a worm at one point and i still need to reinstall windows but asus in all it's glory never gave me a recovery partition.

p.s. does anyone know if SHE is back online or if anyone is planning on fixing it? i liked having twice the battery life of any of my friends.

hmm odd enough better?

stock/van 1215n x32

driver-266.58

OC 2869 3dmk
    sm2.0 1201
    sm3.0 1175
    cpu 960

not oc
    sm2 1058
    hdr/sm3 1081
    cpu 859

270 - not oc
    sm2 1125
    hdr/sm3 1090
    cpu 959

i might OC after i figure out my chip is A-OK.

i still can't find the 'ol force processor even taskbar link doesn't go there anymore.

i want to force mektek mechwarrior4 + "high(er) def mod" to use the ion (want to see if it will make things look better by force anti-aliasing more) but i can't force ANYTHING right now that needs admin rights.

ok, C&C3, with a 8 cpu match i was hovering around the 10fps mark at the peak it was pretty smooth with lows of 6 and highs of 30 on MED without OC... it would never come close without the ion.

and for those who are interested the temprature of the CPU was 53/55*c and the gpu was 63/64*c which is a little warm for the norm.

7. queefinout

queefinout Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am a bit confused. Which temps are the ones to be looking out for? I would always look at the cpu temp in the motherboard section. the one in bottom of the TZ00. Can someone explain the differences in that temp and the ones that say core #1 and core #2, should they all read pretty much the same? Under load I get 66-69c on the motherboard section and on core 1-2 its about 45c tops...

8. zudukai

Reputations:
    to me, it looks like your ION fluxuates 3*C give or take, and your processor is temp is alot like mine when i'm not being hard on it. (plus my room was pretty warm)

the highest i've ever see my processor go is that hot never hotter, even overclocked!

i imagine it's fine till 60 really start easing off after that.

i posted that so people know what to expect under load, i got one of asus's reps to send me a file telling me the max temps, it says they the CPU is good till 90*C, throttle kicks in a 92*c and OverTempratureProtection (OTP) shutdown at 95-98*c.

on another note my powersupply block does the same thing if it gets too hot, shuts off for a few hours till it's absolutely cold,
    i don't know how the pc would handle it though, i've never had it happen.

if the file limit was a bit higher i'd just share the PDF i got. - 488mb vs 520mb
    i suppose if you really want it you could PM me an e-mail and i'd send it.

// got the 3d settings back... still can't force the ion.

9. oogamar

oogamar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you say you can't force the ion do u mean u cant see the option or it just doesn't take when you select it?

I have been using the 270 drivers for a couple of weeks now and have had no issues.

10. zudukai

Reputations:
    it just doesn't take my orders. i have no idea why, it may have to do with the fact that mechwarrior needs to be run as an admin?

i even went and selected the program again (in the control panel from my program files) just to be sure the settings was for the game i was playing (MW4) originally it auto selected my integrated and it runs fine with it, but i'm trying to force anti-aliasing and the like cause the game only lets you go 2x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.