Ebay for Thinkpad T42.. or stick with Fujitsu

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by BoostedA4, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoostedA4

BoostedA4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At this point, I was pretty much sold on the Fujitsu S-series Lifebook, just haven't decided on the 6000 or 7000. The other day, however, I started looking for notebooks on ebay and there are lots of T42's factory sealed from reputable sellers. They are all around the same price, similarly equipped, as the Fujitsu. From what I've read, it seems IBM's are the top for the business-oriented individual.

Since I don't do any gaming, I want something light and durable, fast performance, good battery, and semi-stylish. Both models fit the grade, but IBM's always get top reviews.

Should I hop on some of these IBM deals? I can't afford an IBM if bought through their site, so it would have to be an IBM on EBAY. Anyone have any experience with these? Or should I play it safe and stick with Fujitsu through P-One or newegg? My purhcase wouldn't be for another month or two.

2. Flyboy

Flyboy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    BoostedA4,

I am in the same boat and I will be getting a laptop in mid Feb. I think you should wait till you are a bit closer to your purchase date and see how the Fujitsu vs. IBM price is then. IBM is coming out with a new model (T43) on the 18th of this month so that might drop prices a bit on older T42 models.

I would buy from P1 if you are getting the Fujitsu and not newegg...just personal opinion ( have had some bad luck with newegg but other people love them so I think I was just unlucky). For the IBM there are a lot of deals out there like (visa card holders and student deals) but I would just be a bit worried about a high-end purchess from EBAY. I had an ACER that died and it was nice to be able to take it back to the store in person.

OK lastly if the specs are the same (as they never are [8D]) I would go with IBM but if you like the CV screen stick with Fujitsu. I think I am going to get the Fujitsu S series (still stuck on 6000 or 7000 too[:D]) b/c they have the CV screen and I get more for the same money. Again that said if the IBM was the same price I would jump on it!

Hope this helped,
    Flyboy

3. ekcebiche

ekcebiche Newbie

Reputations:
    BoostedA4 and Flyboy,

I was in the same boat about a month ago and decided on a 14" T42p 2373KTU. At the time, IBM had it on its site for about 3400 and an ebay seller was offering it for 2750. While I was trying to negotiate it with the seller, IBM dropped its price to 2800 in the end I wound up buying from the ebay seller for personal reasons and probably saving an additional couple hundred or so after taxes and shipping. Now, IBM's prices are much higher compared with the specs/price/value offered early December. I probably got lucky with the timing, and form the looks of things (sellling off the PC business) IBM will not be hard pressed to drop prices.

As for what you guys decide on, all I can tell you is the build quality of an IBM is probably only equaled by a Mac. The 128mb firegl graphics accelerator chipset and 14" 1400x1050 screen is very nice, crisp and bright enough for any type of use, even small fonts, IMO (and I use glasses). The absolute only observation I may have (and I say observation and not complaint) is that it gets warm. Anyway, you can probably find a good deal on ebay... beware however of "recertified" or "refurbisued" notebooks, regardless of whether or not it is a "power seller" offering the unit. Good luck with your purchase

cheers

"Ï need to be in an atmosphere that is free, that is open, that is striving for truth - and not somebody else dictating to you how to do your thing which you know how to do better than anybody else."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.